Ch. 17: Demons None the Less

(Y/n) sat in her room, using one of the dirty t-shirts she had worn to dust everywhere. She didn't want anyone else cleaning the room for her, so she did it herself. It was a good way for her to stretch around. She hadn't practiced anything or done anything in at least a month. Her skills were becoming rusty and she didn't like it.

A knock echoed through the room several times.

"Come in!" She called out reaching out to the top of a dresser.

Die walked in with something behind his back. "Good afternoon, (Y/n)."

She smiled upon seeing him, "I haven't seen you in days, where have you been?"

"I've been a bit busy, but, I have something to make up for it," Die pulled out a box from behind his back.

"What's that?" She climbed down from a dresser and walked over to him, taking the box.

"It's something that'll help you a bit more around the castle."

She began to open up the brown container pulling it apart with ease. Inside the box was a smaller box, but seemed like it was meant for jewelry.

"Go ahead, open it."

(Y/n) opened the tiny box revealing a pocket watch. She picked it up and pushed the button, opening it up. It ticked away with a time on it, 1:34 PM.

"You got me a clock?" She looked up at him.

"Order by Dark, I went into town and bought it from a friend. It's the same time the sla—other humans run on, so you'll never miss a meal, or get to your room too late."

She stared down at the watch, watching it tick away. "Thank you, Die. I really appreciate it." Without warning, she reached out her arms and hugged him.

His arms lifted, avoiding any kind of touch. Affection wasn't normal, and physical affection basically didn't exist.

"Uh, yeah, you're welcome..."

She realized he was uncomfortable and let go, "I'm so sorry Die. I forgot— you didn't—" She took a deep breath. "I got a little carried away..."

"It's alright, but I also have other news for you."

"What, another clock?" She laughed.

He clasped his hands together, "Well, no. You won't be too happy about this one."

"Oh no, what's going on?"

"Dark and I have recently discussed ... you, and we've come to an agreement. I'm going to help him perform some of his duties so he has more time to study you."

"Are you kidding me?"

"I know you're not a fan of this, but—"

"One of us is going to end up dead by the end of the day and it's not going to be me. I can't stand to be around him for more than a few minutes."

"But you both spoke in the library for quite a while a few days ago?"

She tossed the watch onto the bed, "I'm sarcastic because it pisses him off. He's the reason why I have friends and family that are dead, you think I want to be around him any more than I have to be?"

Die's voice became stern and professional. "He got you a book, and he got you a watch and a room to stay in. You two made an agreement. He's TRYING to be reasonable, the least you can do is try too."

"I didn't have a choice in the matter."

"You made your choice when you walked into this castle that night. You dug your grave now lay in it." His voice raised, surprising her greatly. He shocked himself as well and took a moment to calm down. "You're stuck here, you might as well go with it for the time being. You wanted to learn from him too."