II

The next few nights, the breeze blew the same. He would come down the same streets; heels clicking on the brick and cement pavements that followed him all the way down to the run down bar. Paying only for the same drink, without a word, at the same time of night - as he did each time..

He would keep his routine the same. Maintaining a new streak of only stopping when he got back to his apartment and puffing blobs of smoke only when in his room.

But this new streak was once again short lived only a few months after the last incident that had occurred.

~

The constant pitter patter of his feet carried throughout the silence. Only creating the mad music conjured up in his head. But then, his peace was disrupted when he heard a sound.

It was very distinct and unmistakable.

Especially when he had heard it a second time.

His eyes darted towards the building that withheld a suspicion that could just as well keep him from getting his nightly drink.

Do I really wanna get involved? Again? He pondered as he watched the two figures stagger into the shadows. I mean.. I just got involved last week.. I think I've done enough good to last me a lifetime..

"Stop it.." he heard a man say, followed by muffles.
"You're drunk. You need to go home."
"No. W-what I nneed iz.." his sentence faded into the shadows and pretty soon, he found himself torn between his own selfish desires or to go and check the issue.

With a sigh, he took one last glance at the direction of the bar before taking a step forward.

"Shit.."

Upon the approach, he soon found out why the chill on his nape was present and wouldn't allow his legs to go in any other direction.

How many packs will make up for a missed drink?

He thought as he took the first punch.

No warning.

Shocked, the man paused.

"The challenge of tonight is.. Instead of killing her, you must kill me." He said. The man charged with the blade in hand that released the woman's neck from the clutches of death. With the grip of death, he clutched the man's wrist, forcing him to drop the knife.

"Oh yeah. And I almost forgot to mention this, but.. Don't knock off my hat." He scolded as he grinned.

The fight began when he gave the woman a look to leave. She ran away from the battle, but not far enough not to see the chaos. And after a while, the chaos and scattered dirt stopped.

"Let this be a lesson to you. Don't fuck around." He said as he adjusted his blazer. He turned to leave when he felt his body being shoved to the ground, followed by a punch in the face.

"No.. Let that be a lesson to you, you little bitch." The man spat.

He looked up from the dust when he knew something was missing.

There lay his mercy.

He never walked out alive..