Dusty Road

She didn't come back for a year..

And after many months of waiting, he figured his luck had officially run out. There were only a few options left for him to choose from to fulfill his plan, but he needed someone.

~

Carefully positioning his hat on his head, he allowed himself to examine himself as he brushed off the blazer with his hands. To him, the side of the mirror that he stood on still seemed the same.

Nothing has changed since..

Twisting the knob to the first barrier to the world, he plunged downward. The thumping on each step proceeding him. Once leveled, the thumping approaches the door and his hand opened the other barrier between him..

And the world..

His gentle shuffles against the small rocks proceeded until he couldn't continue any further.

It can't be.. She's just as good as dead..

But the pestering noise continued.

His mouth, dry and begging for a drink long overdue.

His skin, continuously being fucked by the wind.

One part of his mind saying, I need a drink.. The other part saying, I need to see her..

A quick glance at the ground with a hand in his pocket and the other grasping his chin was the only moment he needed to shuffle his feet and walk away..

~

"What's wrong?" Immediately, she flinched and turned around. His eyebrows arose with excitement. Her stutters were soon to be ignored as he heard every word she was trying to say - which didn't make a difference since it was just rubbish until..

"I-I'm so scared and confused. I d-don't know where I am." She cried with her upper body in a ball. "I need help. Will you please help me?"

His eyes took a moment to stare at her. And although she had noticed it, she didn't mind.

"What do you need?" He sighed. His fingers making a home between his eyebrows as his eyes became well acquainted with his eyelids.

Why am I doing this?

"I need a place to stay.." He bit his lip with the frustration building in his thoughts. With a sigh, his dry mouth and longing eyes kissed the hard liquor goodbye before extending his hand; giving the motion to come on.

~

"You do realize that you are in the same place as you were a year ago?" She stopped in her tracks.
"H-how do you know where I was a year ago?" He sighed.
"Of course.." he whispered to himself. "Nothing.. It's- nevermind.." The disappointment shook his head as they trudged on.

He could sense her fear, but decided not to stir.

I won't question her business and she'll stay out of mine.

Upon opening the door, he blocked the doorway, facing towards her.

"Rules. Absolutely no one can come here, no one can know that I live here and absolutely no questioning my habits. If you have a problem with any of these rules, leave now." He waited a few seconds before stepping aside and shutting the door behind them.

Immediately, he went to prepare a place for her to sleep with comfort. Grabbing a few sheets, blankets and pillows, he set them down on the couch. "Here. You can sleep on the couch. I don't have another bed." He was about to turn around when his eye caught a glimpse of what she was looking at on the table. Initially, his first reaction was to snatch it from her grasp.

Dammit. I forgot to close that.

"Rule number four.." he said as he held up the picture.

"Don't

Touch

My shit."

"I'm sorry." Her head hung low. Ashamed of her actions. He nodded.
"Now that we have an understanding, you can start making up your pallet on the couch." She nodded in understanding.

~

The time came when the light began to kiss the darkness, burning the eyelids of many. But as for him, he found no reason to open them. For he stayed awake all night.

It was an usual routine for him.

Awake at dawn,

Take a few friends to grab a drink,

Come back,

Stay tortured until the next day.

But this night was new.
The reason for his wakefulness had nothing to do with his mind or the chemical imbalances and concoctions constantly taking place. No. The reason behind his disrupted amenities were due to the woman downstairs..

For his every thought,
His every wonder constantly focused on her..

Is she it? The one that will grant my peace? Listen to my story?

He was soon to find out..