Past Chase

In the early hours of the morning, when he didn't show his face to the public, there was a series of furious knocks at the door.
Sluggishly, he trudged towards the window to see a familiar figure.
Leaving his room, he went downstairs to greet the familiar face.

"Come on man, open up."
"What do you want?" He asked, dryly.
"It's me.. We need to talk." With a sigh, he unlocked the door.
"What is it? Why the hell would you come bothering me at this time of day when you know I'm only active at night?"
"Because that's precisely what I intend to stop you from doing."
"From what? Working?"
"From killing."

Then it hit him. He groaned as he plunged onto the couch.

She kept her word.. That little..

"Now, there have been many deaths recorded and I have let you slide. But when I got that call last night from a woman on your route to the bar, I knew it had to be you who'd done it."
"You don't even want to hear my side of what happened, do you?"
"No. Because I already know."

He scoffed and poured some wine into his cup.

"Oh really?"
"Yes."
"Do you really?" He stared at him for a while before hearing a reply.

"You killed a man that seemed to be doing something illegal to her and then insulted her in an argument." Scoffing, he sat back with his drink, shaking his head. "You know, I really thought that you would be the good guy in this one? But it turns out that all those years of college, all those years of studies and that enviously high IQ just went to waste." He seemed disgusted with him from the way the words rolled off of his tongue. "I used to look up to you.. How could you let that one night-?"

"Hey." He shot a glance at him. "Let's not talk about that.." He shook his head in disappointment.

"You were supposed to be my research partner. My partner in crime.. Not the one I'm chasing down and protecting everytime all hell breaks loose."

"I think you should go back to work now." He said as he stood with his drink in hand.

He nodded as he approached the door. "So this is how it is?"
"It always has been. This is my fate and you have yours."
"Yoo.." He stopped himself, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You were my best friend. The brightest student in class! Don't let this world define you." He said as he opened the door.

"It already has.." He said, shaking his head and looking down. "Have fun chasing me while you still can." With a pat on his shoulder, he closed the door.

~

Once night had fallen again, he decided to make an attempt to run his usual errands.

I better not see her again. And if I do, no matter what, I won't help her. Or anyone else..

Once at the bar, he was relieved to have his usual drink with a side of his other closest friends.. The one thing that gave him total peace..

"You know, you shouldn't mix those together with alcohol." The bartender said, spotting his now indiscrete mistake. "It could kill you."

"I know." He began as he arose from his stool. "Just be glad I didn't have enough to make me fall on the floor." Slapping the money down, he nodded a thanks and left.

He walked down the streets, having no trouble coordinating his feet through the blur of his self-induced intoxication. To further solidify the buzz, he decided to have a smoke on the wall when

Lo and behold,

There was trouble.

~

He stumbled over to the noise and pleads for help. Once there, he was about to react when he decided to just play along for a bit.

Yanking the man back by his collar, he began.
"What's your problem?" Unfortunately, the man's words were inaudible and that's when he knew that he was dealing with an intoxicated drunk. "Listen, I'm drunk too. But at least I know how to hold my drink and not a neck." He applied pressure on his neck at the pressure points.

He was prepared to kill him.

"No, please! Don't kill him!"
Through his intoxication, he heard the familiar voice; thus, slowly looking up at the small frame that it came from.

He saw her face.

"He's very drunk right now and doesn't know what he's done!" She begged.
"You.." He dropped the man in disgust from her presence. His groan proceeding them.
"What? Do you know me?"

"Y-you set me up. You called them and they came to my house." He said as he approached her with a pointed finger.
"Sir, whatever I did to you, I'm sorry and I promise that it won't ever happen again! Just please! Don't hurt him!"

Just then, he was pummeled to the ground; throwing off his balance and his only sense of mercy.. Once the cold dirt hit his head and the rocks carried traces of his blood, he knew.

Slowly, he got up and was a shadow of darkness over him.

"No mercy." His eyes went from his hat to the drunken man. "You'll die today, motherfucker." He said as he punched the dude to knock him out. Dissatisfied, he roughly grabbed the back of his collar and burned him on the eyelids with the cigarette that had been thrown out of his mouth from the sudden impact.

This fight seemed almost too easy for him, so he broke his nose; going against his word and urges, he kept the man alive.

He took one last long puff of smoke before tossing it aside and approaching the dirtied hat.

~

"That wasn't necessary. "
"Relax. He'll live if he doesn't choke on his own blood.." He said as he approached her. He placed his hand on the wall, cornering her so that she couldn't move or escape. "Why does it seem like everytime we see each other, it's only when you're being fucked by a male that I have to kill?"

"He technically wasn't fucking me.." Arms crossed, she casted her gaze to the ground beside her.

"Really? 'Cause to me, it looked like he was fucking your face up." She was silent as the stench of alcohol blessed her face. "I didn't say how. You just assumed that I meant.. hm.."

"What?" She looked back up at him.

Every man that encounters her, so far, dies.. Perhaps she is my luck..

"Then perhaps.. Maybe I should fuck you and maybe someone strong enough will finally come along to kill me." He nodded in approval of his twisted plan for death. It was the one thing he truly wanted

"What?" She seemed alarmed and insulted.

"Be at my place at twelve." He said, turning away from her. "I'll be waiting."

"Who are you?" She screamed.

"That's none of your business. Especially if you wanna get paid." He said as he walked off, lighting another one of his temporary friends with an addicting personality.

"And how that hell am I supposed to find your house?" She screamed.

"You will." Not stopping to look back, he put his hat back on.