Painful Past

Silence had been his best friend for a time when the nurse came in.

"I see you're awake now Mr. -"
"Yes, I'm fine."
"You've had quite a lot of drugs in your system. We're gonna have to keep you for a few more days to keep track of how things are healing and check the status on your mental health."
"Miss, could you please hand me my clothes? I need something that's in one of the pockets."
"Which pocket is it in? I'll get it for you."
"That's the thing. I'm not sure. But I know it has to be there. Trust me. I know how hard you must work. It'll be fine for me to do this thing on my own."

With a nod, she handed him his clothes and then proceeded to continue checking his blood pressure and such.

"Alright. You seem to be looking good. I'll be back soon with your dinner for the night."
"Excuse me, I'm sorry, but could you please open to window for me? It's a little hot in here and I'd like some fresh air." With a small smile, she nodded before unlocking and opening the window a little bit. "Thank you."
"No problem. Anything else?"
"No. That'll be all."
"Alright. I'll be back soon with your food." She said before closing the door behind herself.

Immediately, he began to slide his pants on before ripping out the IV in his arm and throwing his shirt on. Without another thought, he looked outside checking for witnesses before jumping out the window. He was set on the first floor, so the jump had done no harm.

As he walked, the sky only got darker and with every step, the pain within his heart grew. Because he had avoided the pathways towards the hospital and where society congregated most, he knew not but one way back to where he was from.

It was that road.

The road that taunted and threatened every good memory he ever had in life. The road that beheld a weight over his head could crush him at any given moment - although he desperately wanted it to..

At least then the pain would be over and no longer would he have to block the tears in his eyes as he had been doing now. No longer would he have to bear the burden of walking over the place where 'their' precious blood flowed after being spilled due to wounds caused by a seemingly endless barrel of bullets.

With every heavy breath he took, the sound of the bullets leaving their beloved barrel filled his ears. And with every tear, the cries of the one he loved the most haunted him from that day.

She would never forgive him.

He was convinced that it was so.

But before he would tell her the truth, he just wanted to have one more chance to prove to her who he truly was.

"Where are you going?"

He stopped. That familiar voice.. A voice that was so distant and yet, so close that he could almost touch the face of the person it belonged to.

"Where are you off to?"

The voice said again. This time more jubilant.

No.. He couldn't allow himself to hear or see these things right now. At least.. Not now..

It was tearing him apart hearing the voice of the dead. Knowing that it was just all in his head made everything feel worst than before.

~

Taehyung persisted until he turned towards him, causing him to think that he was giving in - but he wasn't.

"Leave me alone, Taehyung."
"Why?"
"You're annoying."
"I get that a lot.."
"I see why.."
"Listen. If you tell me what it is that you're doing, I swear I'll quit."
"That's not how it'll work."
"I promise."
"Fine." He sighed. "I'm on my way to the water fountain over there." He pointed.
"Can I come?"
"No. Leave me alone."
"But I want a drink too."
"Go to a different one."
"Are you meeting someone there?" He then became quiet. The silence had no chance to answer when Taehyung began to get excited. "It must be a girl. I guess I'm not the only man around here anymore." He sighed, proudly looking down at his fingernails.

Rolling his eyes, he slowly made his way over to the water fountain before the doors of the other classroom flung open. Noticeably, he lowered his head slowly towards the faucet and began drinking as he waited for her to walk through those doors. As soon as she did, all time stopped. She came out laughing with whom he assumed to be her friends and watched as she walked by. Though, today, it had been different. She suddenly turned her head and locked eyes with him - something she had never done before. Smiling, he waved back at her when she had done so herself. Her laughs soon filling the hallway as she looked back over to her friend and they walked past him. A deep breath later, Taehyung approached him.

"You like Jiu?" He froze, internally cursing himself. How could he have been so careless. He should've pretended not to notice her today. Now there had been a threat at their chance together with Taehyung's name all over it. "Jiu is pretty and all, but you can't take her. She already has a boyfriend." His heart sank. He felt even more foolish than before for not knowing.

Of course she was taken. A beautiful girl like that would always be taken by some guy.

"Hey.. Just a heads up. I don't know how you are, but just in case, I wouldn't mess with her if I were you. You don't want that problem. Trust me."
"Why not?"
"I hear that the last guy who set eyes on Jiu got seriously hurt when her boyfriend found out about it. I think he's still in the hospital now."

"Whatever. I'm not that type of guy." he said to himself.

Though it would never have occurred to him that he would soon become that sort of guy..