{08}

ELI JACKSON

I light the path with small candles and hang paper lanterns from the elongated branches on the trees. I lay out a red and white checker picnic blanket on the bank of the river. I place a picnic basket on it and set up the plates cutlery and glasses also. I set a wireless radio off to the side, playing gentle melodies.

My ears prick up hearing the sound of someone approaching and I duck into hiding. Rosaleen walks down the path, hugging her body. She looks around perhaps searching for me.

"Good evening." I approach from behind her.

She whips her head around and watches me walk down the path.

"I was beginning to think you weren't coming." She sighs.

I tower over her and I stare intensely into her eyes.

"I wouldn't ditch you like that, not after you wanted me come."

I hand her a rose and she takes it grinning at me.

"Thank you." She breathes.

She is so beautiful with her black dress and high heels. Her hair and make up are done with perfection as well and I start to feel my trousers tighten. I myself wear a pair of black slacks and a crumpled shirt, while holding my blazer over my shoulder.

My tie isn't even done and it hangs around my neck and my hair is a spikey mess. I watch, smirking, as Rosaleen bites at her bottom lip.

"You look so beautiful." I comment.

"Thanks." She replies, "You look really nice too."

"Why thank you." I grin.

I lead her over to the blanket and she's the first sit down, instantly taking off her shoes. A sigh of relief leaves her as she relaxes her feel and I chuckle. I take my spot right next to her and hand her a glass.

I open a bottle of white bubbly sitting in the bucket of ice. When I fill the glass, she thanks me, before I knock my glass against her own and I take a sip.

"I'm only sixteen," she announces, "I don't think I'm legal to drink."

"I really thought you were old enough to." I apologetically respond, "Then again, out here there are no rules or laws." I smirk.

She chuckles and glances around at her surroundings. A deep sigh leaves her and I smile taking another sip of wine.

"Oh," she says suddenly, "I don't think I like the taste of this."

She gently places the glass down, chuckling nervously while watching me.

"It's okay, don't worry about it," I smile gently, "We can eat now if you want."

She nods in response and I take her plate filling it with a sandwich and meat on a skewer. I bring out a cheese board with grapes. When she finishes her sandwiches and meat, I give her a few grapes telling her to try it with the cheese. She shakes her head with disagreement.

"Do you have pineapple instead?" She asks innocently.

"I'm sorry Kitten, I don't." I frown, in confusion.

"Ahh well, that's okay," she sigh, "Next time."

We continue to eat with only the sounds of chirping crickets and the sound of soft waves from the water between us.

"You know... Amanda and Lexcye were really excited about this." She laughs suddenly.

"I bet they were." I reply.