Chapter 9

Raksha,

Finally Friday evening and I was excited, I had been waiting for this since last week. I have plans to spend weekend with Adi. Though, I had other options too. Jordan had asked me out for a dance night, but I politely declined. I wanted revive my friendship with Adi. He has always been an amazing friend. We have been friends since kids, when my brothers would tease he would take my side. Adi had the patience like  mountain and that made people like him instantly. Veer always praised him and credited him for being an awesome friend and support. 

I recalled the derby day, I don't know why but I felt annoyed when Jade hugged and pecked Adi's cheek. She was all over him. Her eyes spoke her love for him. When everyone else cheered, Adi sat calm. I was aware it was his horse Ivory too participated, his confidence on his pet was so evident and Ivory didn't let him down.  Jade happily hugged  congratulating him. My palms crushed the lobby pass in my hand. Then something happened, I watched as Adi asked the tall man to leave and Jade kept herself hidden from his eyes. May be this was the reason all had praises for him. Jade thanked him walking away and Jordan followed his sister. Though, I could have left on my own, still I requested him to drop me. He obliged but refused to step in. And I was adamant on having a word with him. I wanted and craved his attention. As expected he consoled me like a baby before leaving, inviting me over the weekend. I checked my appearance once before moving down  the stairs. 

***

I could hear liveliness of the house right from the porch. I  stepped in the hall and found three friends chatted over the dinner table. Am I interrupting? I thought , he has invited me over the weekend and I invited myself over Friday night. I am so stupid, but somehow I felt alone in that castle like house. 'No, you actually are a spoiled brat. Who missed being pampered.' Chided my mind. I came here with lot of excitement and now I feel like an idiot standing at the door of dinning hall. In that moment I decided to leave, " Princess, what a surprise . Please join us" Anjali walked to me greeting me with a smile. I felt embarssed walking in uninvited. "Please take her luggage to her room." Anjali ordered the staff and walked me to the dine in table with her arm wrapped around mine. I lifted my eyes to look at Adi, he had his eyes  fixed on me a faint smile stretched over lips. James started coughing and Anjali patted his back offering him a glass of water. "Your throat is still bad, it has been more than a week. Why don't you see a doctor. " I suggested and his coughing increased. Strangely Adi coughed too. James quickly excused himself and Anjali followed.  I was being served dinner and Adi gestured me to have with his eyes. He was about to say something and just then Anika entered , she came running to me with open arms,  " you missed me friend" she asked and I missed.  I missed hugging  her. She made a serious face, " okay, we can have match tomorrow. Me and Adi  one team and You and James other team. " I agreed pulling her in my lap. She still had a deep cut on her forehead. I caressed it and now felt ashamed of being angry when Adi left abruptly, I looked at him apologetically and he smiled mouthing it's okay. 

After I finished , Anjali dragged Anika away leaving us alone. I followed Adi out in the lawn. He turned around smiling at me encouraging me to join him. " I am sorry,  I came uninvited." I started the conversation. He chuckled, " you don't need an invitation Raksha. We are friends remember."

I felt amazing and calmed. " so are your prepared for the match tomorrow " I chirped

He chuckled throwing his head back, I gulped staring the strech of his strong  macular neck. He replied breaking my thoughts, " I am, are you? Anika is too good for her age."

''I used to be too, until those restriction started building up.'' My voice suddenly dimmed. He stopped and stood opposite to me, ''Raksha, what happened then was to keep you safe. Had your grandmother not taken those steps, Brijesh would have taken you somewhere far, out of all our reach. We would have lost you.''