Chapter 21

"When you want to give up, think of all the people that would love to see you fail. Prove them wrong."
~ Alex Morgan

Carson winks at me and my smirk enlarges by a fraction, then, I turn to face the other team, who are staring at us straight in the eye

"Team B, your team captain?" Coach asks after pulling us in at the centre of the pitch, lined in a single file facing each other. The bleachers aren't full, but they aren't empty either.

Why do people even want to watch us practise? Ew. I mean, what's so good about watching sweaty people running in foot-Soccer attire?

"And Team A?" I'm dragged out of my thoughts as Coach asks us for our team captain. I look to the centre and see Jayden standing there, both eyebrows inching upwards, as Chase irritatedly grins behind him. Oh Chase.

However, to everyone's dismay, no one steps forward. None of us made the arrangements for a team captain, and I find myself glancing back at the rest of the team, whose gaze is casted towards the ground.

Carson nudges me, and I stumble forward and almost trip, but catch myself just in time. I cough a I'm-totally-not-dying-but-also-want-to-kill-someone cough and straighten up- trying to look the part.

I'm going to kill Carson. I mean it. Okay maybe not kill him but definitely stub his toe. What? Studs hurt. But seriously, revenge is in order.

"You guys are having the new girl as your team captain? Carson, you must be hit dang good!" I hear Joey snigger and I roll my eyes.

"Oh p-lease. Calm your shit. We had Ethan choose." I quickly filled in, hoping Ethan got the gist.

Unfortunately for us though, Ethan ignored us, trapped in his own little world. Everyone turned to look at Ethan, as he and Austin were busy playing Rock Paper Scissors. I tried to hold back my laughter at the sight, until I heard someone break.

Nick. Nick Colton lost his shit.

Can you believe it? Nick Colton, one of the grumpiest people I had ever seen, was laughing. Although, it was kind of a mocking laugh to be honest. But a laugh, nonetheless.

"Fuck off you guys. I can't with you anymore. How more pathetic can you get? Rock Paper Scissors? Really?" Nick was trying to breathe as he was talking and laughing at the same time.

Austin replied by sticking out his tongue, and then Ethan looking over and then doing he same.

"Get a life." Was all Colton had, until Coach cleated his throat, reminding us all of his presence.

"Okay, team captains, stand in the circle." Coach instructed as he looked in his pocket for a coin. He ended up pulling out a small silver cent coin. 'Even the currency is going to get hard to use to, damn.' I thought.