Chapter 37

"People are all different. The only thing common they have is that they are human. "

I woke up, slightly shaken and walked to my bathroom

The paleness of my tan skin shocked me, and I knew that I had just had a panic attack. Oh shit. It was in front of them as well. I don't think they were ever going to forget that. Well not for a mother good months at least.

I heard footsteps come in the room, but when they found me not in the bed they started running, their loud footsteps thudding on the floor. I could feel them vibrate and honestly, I guess that made me feel happy.

As if someone cared about me. And I couldn't be more grateful. I was pretty known in the small town I lived in. 'It's the girl who works multiple jobs' or 'it's the girl whose always nice'. I didn't like the attention.

There's a good attention, a bad attention and an embarrassing attention. I had the latter when I was there, and I fucking hated it. Treated with pity, treated with excessive niceness- every from the people that hated me, no doubt. And it fucking stings every time I think about it.

"Alexis?" The voice called out after a few moments. If I knew any better, that voice belonged to Nick Colton.
"Here." I croaked out and saw him visibly him lean against the toilet door. Because you know, it pushed inwards towards me.

"Are you okay?" He asked me and I chuckled.

"Nicholas, the first thing not to ask someone whose just had a panic attack is if they're okay." I told him, then splashing some more cold water on my face to make the colour from my face fade and turn back to its normal shade. I watched myself in mirror - but what stared at back at me was not Alexis Cassidy Baxter. It was some other girl that was giving up- some other girl's eye that looked like there was once hope.

There was definitely hope for me. I knew it. My heart knew it too. But why did my mind say something different? Why did I feel so empty of every minute of every hour? Every stumble had me thinking, every misfire had me waiting - for something, anything, to change. To let light in my life.

I've lost my mind haven't I? I'm taking garbage at this point.

Also, let's hope that Nick's actual name is Nicholas. Wouldn't want to get his name wrong.

Sighing, I grabbed the towel I scrubbed my face viciously dry, in hopes and essence that all the memories would go away. Of course they wouldn't. I don't know what I was thinking.

My face was red when I took off the towel, but it slowly simmered into the light olive tan shade my skin was. My eyes were still slightly swollen and my hair was a mess.

I ran my fingers weakly through my hair, not fazed enough to grab the comb. Honestly, if they don't like me at my worst, then they don't deserve me at my best.