« Unforgotten | Past »

Family time was rare, but my family understood my circumstance.

Being home was truly refreshing, familiar smiles and voices was what i needed.

Listing to the annoying snores actually brought joy to me, I've been away, in hotels alone and on the road for a full year now.

My manager knew this was a break i needed, work hasn't crossed my mind. I left my work phone with my assistant, as my personal phone sat beside me.

"Keem"

My sister whispered out as i looked back at her. I nodded my head as she smacked her lips, requested for me to get up and come.

Removing the covers from off top of me as i laid my cousin down.

"Everything okay?"

I asked as she shh'd me.

I didn't realize it was two o'clock in the morning. We walked down the stairs as we walked into the kitchen.

"Kiera" i hissed as she walked into the dinning room leaving me standing there.

"I'm going back upstairs we're too old to be playing hide and seek" I spoke walking off.

"That was you and Ann favorite game growing up" his voice sparked a nerve as i turned around.

"Nolan" i whispered as he hugged me. "Lock up when you're done" my sister said as she walked out the kitchen.

"Wh-what . . What are you doing here? Didn't you leave for the army?"

I asked as he took a seat on the stool taking the lid off my moms home made cupcakes.

"These were always my favorite"

He chuckled as he licked the frost off his lips.

"We have relieve days, i was in town for my aunts funeral. Guess your sister saw my Facebook post and she just told me to come over when i was free. Didn't plan this i swear"

He pleaded as he stood up walking beside me. Nolan turned his back towards the counter as we starred at each other.

"I see you're doing well for yourself" he smiled poking my chest.

"You not the little chubby boy anymore"

He chuckled as i shook my head laughing.

"I'm proud of you Keem"

He looked down at the half eaten cupcake as i broke off a small piece eating it.

"Still have my chubby boy tendencies" i laughed as he smiled.

His eyes trailed mine as i smiled looking away.

"Ann always found you before i could"

He mumbled.

"Thought you two were going to get married and have kids running around here"

He added on as i let out a slight chuckle.

"Many thought that, but she's living her life, i came across the hubby and everything"

We both gave each other the same shocking look. "Ann is marrying someone else and not you. Bomber" he joked.

"Congratulations to her" he smiled as he broke off another piece from the cupcake.

"What about you, who's the lucky army wife?"

I asked looking at the ring on his finger.

"It's my moms ring, she passed two years ago" he mumbled as my heart sunk from my chest.

"Nolan. . ." I softly spoke as he leaned up walking towards the trash.

"You've been busy with your life so don't apologize for not being here"

He spoke as his back was turned towards me.

"I'm sorry" I mumbled as my hand extended out towards his back, but he walked away before i could touch him.

"I've grieved, I'm better. So stop with all that"

He chuckled softly punching my chest as i grabbed his fist.

His eyes followed my hand as his fist unfolded, our palms connected as i looked him in the eyes.

"Why didn't you search harder for me"

To be continued. . .
M E E T ' T H E ' C A S T