― x. periculum

𝓟𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐮𝐥𝐮𝐦

𝓟𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐮𝐥𝐮𝐦

The following morning, the Golden Quartet were seated for breakfast in the Great Hall, Ron and Hermione both trying to coax Harry and Edelyn to take in some food. "Hunger won't help," said Ron, mouth full of scrambled eggs as he scooped a ladle of porridge into a bowl and shoved it toward her. "You'll need your energy," reasoned Hermione, buttering a slice of toast and placing it on Harry's empty plate. But their efforts were made in vain; Harry and Edelyn simply shook their heads, swallowing thickly as their stomachs churned with apprehension.

"Potter," came Professor McGonagall's voice, and the four looked up to see her striding over. "The champions are congregating in the chamber of the hall after breakfast."

"But the task's not until tonight!" Harry exclaimed, suddenly worried that he had mistaken the time. His fear was alleviated, however, when McGonagall gave him a stern look and said, "I'm well aware of that, Potter. The champions' families are invited to watch the final task, you know. This is simply a chance for you to greet them."

Lips tightly sealed, her robes swept as she turned back around and walked away, leaving Harry to gape at her. "She doesn't expect the Dursleys to turn up, does she?"

Once the food on the House tables disappeared, Harry saw Fleur get up from the Ravenclaw table and join Krum as he crossed to the side chamber. Cedric then walked over from the Hufflepuff table and placed a hand on Edelyn's shoulder. "Come on, Lynnie. Mum and Dad are here. I'm sure it'd be alright if you joined us."

Edelyn beamed and slipped out of her seat. A knowing glint flashed in her eyes and she grabbed Harry's arm and pulled him up to his feet. "Come on, Harry. You too."

Before he could explain to her that he had no family — no family who would turn up to see him risk his life anyway —, she was dragging him along with her to the side chamber. 

Mr and Mrs Diggory were just inside the door and Edelyn and Cedric quickly ran over to them. Harry, meanwhile, walked further in and looked around awkwardly. When his eyes fell on Mrs Weasley, his spirits instantly lifted.

"Surprise!" she exclaimed, wrapping him in a hug and kissing him on the cheek. "Thought we'd come and watch you, Harry."

No sooner did the question of, "We?", pop into his head did Bill Weasley, with long hair and fang earrings, come into view and greet him with a pat on the shoulder. "You alright?" He grinned at him. "Charlie wanted to come, but he couldn't get time off. He said you were incredible against the Horntail."

From the corners of his eyes, Harry noticed that Fleur Delacour was eyeing Bill over her mother's shoulders with a look of great interest.

"This is really nice of you," Harry muttered to Mrs Weasley.