― xi. a very black reunion

𝓐 𝓥𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝓑𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝓡𝐞𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧

Edelyn remembered very little of what happened the rest of the night. She only vaguely remembered Fred pulling her away from the scene and back into the castle. Where she slept, or if she slept, she did not know. All she knew was the fatal truth that Cedric was dead. Cedric Diggory was dead and he was never coming back.

As the sun reached its peak the next day, Edelyn found herself seated on a chair in the Hospital Wing, knees pulled close to her chest as she stared blankly down at the floor. So lost was she in her own head as she tried to trace every single detail about Cedric — as if she'd soon forget how he appeared or the sound of his voice if she did not focus her mind to it — that she didn't so much as blink at the sight of the curious black dog she had met at Hogsmeade seated at the foot of Harry's bed.

The meeting passed just as terribly as Harry thought it would. A dreadful heaviness weighed on him as he told the Diggories what happened that night in the graveyard. The sound of their sobs was unbearable. Edelyn, however, remained silent. Her grief, it seemed, was beyond tears. She simply sat staring blankly at the floor.

"He suffered very little then," Mrs Diggory croaked when Harry recounted how Cedric had died. Mr Diggory sniffed and rested a hand on the small of Edelyn's back. "After all, Lyn...he died just when he'd won the tournament. He must have been h...h-happy," he spoke softly.

Edelyn did not reply. 

"We want you to know, Harry, that we don't b...b-blame you. We w-want to thank you, Harry, for — for bringing back his — his b...b-body." Mrs Diggory smiled kindly as tears welled in her swollen eyes. She and her husband then stood and Mr Diggory patted Harry on the shoulder. "You look after yourself, now." Turning Edelyn, the Diggories exchanged a look before Mrs Diggory pressed a gentle kiss on the top of her head and Mr Diggory said, "We'll be in the greenhouses with Pomona." Wiping his eyes for the umpteenth time that day, he grasped his wife's hand, and together, they left the Hospital Wing. 

Harry shifted uncomfortably, throat dry. He wished to comfort Edelyn, but he knew that there was nothing he could do or say that would ever fill that empty hole now looming inside her. Hesitantly, he took Mr Diggory's empty seat and scratched the side of his head. "Lyn?"

Edelyn bit down on her bottom lip. "He promised he'd be careful," she whispered weakly. 

Harry exhaled shakily and placed a hand on Edelyn's back, half expecting her to squirm away. Edelyn, however, stayed motionless as she had done for the past hour. "Lyn, I'm — I'm so sorry." His voice cracked. "If I had known, I'd — I'd never have — I offered him to take the Cup with me, I—" 

"It's not your fault," Edelyn croaked. She suddenly rose to her feet and Harry's hand slipped from her back. "Lyn—" He caught her wrist as she made to leave.