― vi. butterbeer high

𝓑𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐫 𝓗𝐢𝐠𝐡

𝓑𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐫 𝓗𝐢𝐠𝐡

"And was that spell, by any chance, another one from that book of yours?" 

The first Hogsmeade weekend came with the fall of red, brown, and golden leaves. The Golden Quartet trudged through heavy winds towards the Three Broomsticks, grateful to leave their studies behind. 

"What does that have to do with anything?" 

Edelyn and Ron exchanged a look. 

Hermione's expression soured. "So, you just decided to try out an unknown, handwritten incantation and see what would happen?"

"Why does it matter if it's handwritten?"

"Because it's probably not Ministry of Magic-approved, and also because I'm starting to think this Prince character was a bit dodgy."

Harry rolled his eyes and Ron chimed in, "It was just a laugh Hermione, that's all."

"Dangling people upside down by the ankle? Who puts their time and energy into making up spells like that?"

"Fred and George," Edelyn and Ron spoke in unison. 

Hermione shot Edelyn a glare of deep annoyance — one that clearly expressed, you're supposed to be on my side! "I just don't trust this 'Prince' character," she snipped. "I really think you ought to return that book and—"

"For the last time, Hermione, I'm not returning that book. It's taught me a whole lot more about Potions than Snape has in five years."

Hermione sought Edelyn for support, but Edelyn merely shrugged. "Fine," she huffed and stalked forward. 

"Bloody hell...Is it that time of the month again or something?" 

Edelyn rolled her eyes and quickened her step to meet Hermione, hooking her arm with hers.

Ron shook his head. "Girls," he muttered into his scarf. 

The Three Broomsticks was bustling with Hogwarts students when they arrived. Hermione led them toward an empty table. Edelyn drew in a sharp breath when Harry unexpectantly grasped her hand and tugged her down into the seat beside him. 

Ron shifted apprehensively at this change in their usual seating arrangement. He glanced at Hermione, hesitated, then plopped down beside her, a reluctant pull in his shoulders.

Edelyn looked questioningly at Harry, but he averted his gaze and asked Madam Rosmerta for four tankards of butterbeer. 

An odd tension fell upon them. Edelyn tossed glimpses at Ron, who returned them with equal confusion and unease.