― vii. green-eyed monster

𝓖𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧-𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝓜𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫

𝓖𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧-𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝓜𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫

"Give me Fred or George. Bill! Charlie! Bloody hell..., I'll even take Percy. I just can't stand another minute with Ron. He keeps trying to show me how soft his lips are. As if I care!" Edelyn tugged theatrically at her ebony tresses. "He's going to drive me mental!" She knocked the back of her head against the bookshelves. "Are all teenage boys such bumbling baboons?"

"A great proportion of them, yes," Hermione declared. "But, there's always Harry." 

Edelyn raised her eyebrows. "Nah, I think there's a git bumbling baboon in him too," she said, straightening his round-rimmed glasses, which had a bad habit of sitting lopsidedly on his nose. 

Harry chuckled awkwardly, refusing to meet her gaze. 

"Well, I think I'll leave you two alone, then," Hermione said briskly. "Harry's got something to ask you." 

As if she had disapparated, Hermione suddenly vanished and Harry stood in panic. 

"So..." Edelyn perched herself up onto a table and swung her legs to and fro. "What's up?" 

"I..." Harry forked his hand through his hair, impolite thoughts of Hermione sounding in his mind. "I — erm — I was—" He coughed to clear his throat. "Slughorn's Christmas party is coming up, see, and—" 

Edelyn stuck her tongue out. "Don't remind me. He keeps talking about it! It's going to be absolutely dreadful..." 

"Right. Well, I was wondering if perhaps it would be less dreadful if we — you and me, that is — um..."

"Oie, Black!"

Edelyn drew in a sharp breath. She wheeled around to see Draco Malfoy stride over.  

Harry's demeanour instantly changed. "What do you want, Malfoy?" 

"That's really none of your business, Potter," Malfoy snarled. Then, turning to Edelyn, he said in a low hiss, "I need to have a word."

Edelyn puckered her brow. "Okay..."

"Wait—" Harry reached for her arm. 

"It's alright." She snorted a muffled laugh and whispered, "I promise I won't touch any jewellery he tries to give me," into Harry's ear. 

Harry was neither humoured nor reassured. He glared at Malfoy's back as they left. 

Edelyn followed Malfoy into an empty classroom a few corridors down. As soon as the door closed, she was unceremoniously shoved backwards and pinned hard against the wall. 

"What the—? What in Merlin do you think you're doing?" 

"Shut up, Black. I know it was you."