― xi. cupid's kiss

𝓒𝐮𝐩𝐢𝐝'𝐬 𝓚𝐢𝐬𝐬

𝓒𝐮𝐩𝐢𝐝'𝐬 𝓚𝐢𝐬𝐬

January rolled dully into February. On Valentine's Day, Edelyn was on her own as she browsed the shelves of Zonko's Joke Shop, picking up a list of supplies for George ( to his great displeasure, he was stuck in detention with Filch for the twins' latest bout of mischief ). Naturally, the joke products were also for Fred, but that particular Weasley didn't seem to want anything to do with her these days. Weeks had now passed since they last spoke and Edelyn felt miserable without his company. That stupid kiss! She thought sourly.

"All of this?" Mr Zonko asked, an eyebrow raised as Edelyn dumped three dozen fireworks onto the counter. Edelyn nodded and Zonko leaned over the counter. "Tell me, what exactly are those Weasley twins up to?"

Edelyn smiled and pressed a finger to her lips. "I can't go spilling their secrets, now can I?" she whispered, mystery laced in her voice. "Or else..." she continued, gaze flickering down to one of the fireworks, "I might find myself at the wrong end of an explosive laugh."

Mr Zonko chuckled. "Those boys," he said with an amused shake of his head and began to count the fireworks. "Let's see here...That'll be two galleons, one sickle, and ten knuts."

Edelyn reached into her money pouch and handed the wizard the coins. She then threw the fireworks inside her rucksack and called out, "Thank you, Mr Zonko. I'm sure I'll see you soon," as she headed towards the door.

"Prank well, Miss Black. Until next time!"

Embracing the cold winter air, Edelyn pulled up the hood of her robes and trudged down High Street. Ron and Hermione were waiting for her in the Three Broomsticks, but Edelyn didn't want to interrupt them just yet she was certain that a few butterbeers would loosen Hermione up just enough to see past Ron's sardonic humour and would give Ron just enough courage to see that Hermione was indeed a girl )

Ducking her head down so as to save her eyes from the vicious wind, she made her way toward Scrivenshaft's. With the O.W.L.s and Umbridge's continued tyranny over Hogwarts, she had developed a bad habit of taking out her frustration on her assignments, leading to broken quills, blotches of ink on her essays, and holes in her parchment. Before she could reach the shop, she slipped on an icy patch of snow and her knees slammed to the ground. 

She swore filthily. 

Her face was still screwed in pain when she heard muffled sobs from nearby and turned to see Cho Chang sitting on a bench, her face buried in her hands. 

"Cho?" She sat down and scooted awkwardly toward the Ravenclaw. "Cho? What's wrong?"

Cho sniffed and Edelyn saw fresh tears drip from her chin. "I — I was on a date with Ha — Harry and — and he—" she tried to explain, but with emotions everywhere and nowhere, she choked on snot and suddenly flung her arms around Edelyn, sobbing into her shoulder.