― ii. protest against peas

𝓟𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝓐𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝓟𝐞𝐚𝐬

"The way Mum treats us!" Ginny grumbled hotly under her breath the next morning as she, Hermione, and Edelyn got dressed for breakfast. "I mean, honestly, we're not children! We're old enough to know what the Order's up to!"

"We did learn a bit last night," said Hermione as she tied her bushy brown hair into a ponytail.

Ginny scoffed. "Yeah, well, I wasn't even allowed to stay for that, now was I? I mean, it's so unfair! Lyn's not even that much older than I am, and yet she got to stay." She rolled her eyes and grumbled, "Just because Dumbledore let her start Hogwarts early..."

Edelyn, who hadn't slept well in days due to her returning nightmares, rubbed her tired eyes and muttered, "Oh, stop whining, Gin. We told you everything they said, didn't we?" Then, tightening the straps of her jean overalls, she added, "Besides, it wasn't even anything new. We already knew most of it from listening through the Extendable—"

CRACK.

"Fred!" Ginny exclaimed as her brother appeared out of thin air into the room, causing all three girls to give startled jumps. "You complete git," she said, slapping him on the arm. "We could have been changing!"

Fred raised his hands in innocent surrender and stepped away from her, mumbling, "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed," to Edelyn, and then using her as a shield when Ginny sent him a murderous look. 

"She's just still worked up about last night," explained Edelyn, stifling a yawn.

"Oh, that," said Fred, propping his elbow on her shoulder. "Don't worry, Gin. They didn't say anything we didn't already know. Well...except for the part about the weapon." He said the last word with an air of deep mystery, and Edelyn couldn't help but snort a laugh. "Let slide, more like," she said.

"You know," said Fred, looking rather thoughtful, "I bet Sirius'd tell you anything if you asked."

Edelyn quirked an eyebrow at him. "And why do you think that?" 

Fred smirked a mischievous smirk and pinched her cheeks as he cooed, "An excuse to talk to his precious lil' princess, of course." 

Edelyn's eyes narrowed into a glare. "Stop that," she grumbled, swatting his hands away, but Fred simply grinned. "Oh, but Lynster dear, you're so so cute," he teased, sending her a wink before quickly disapparating, just as she made to punch him – she got her revenge 20 minutes later by flicking a spoonful of oatmeal at his eye over breakfast, earning her a scornful look from Mrs Weasley and a teary-eyed "attagirl" from George.

The rest of the morning went rather drab, the kids occupied with the tedious task of de-doxying the curtains of the first-floor drawing-room. By midday, Doxycide misted in the air and Edelyn coughed violently into her arm as it tickled her throat. Ron, in an attempt to help, whacked her roughly in the back, but what with the general fatigue that had plagued the girl ever since that night in June, she stumbled forward and would have fallen over if it weren't for George swiftly grasping her shoulders.