― xii. sweet dessert

𝓢𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝓓𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭

𝓢𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝓓𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭

"Oh, bollocks..." 

Edelyn's right thigh was twitching so violently that pumpkin juice slopped over the rim to splash onto her sleeves. 

Hermione rolled her eyes. "For God's sake..." She pointed her wand at Edelyn's robes and flicked her wrist. "It's just a Quidditch match." 

"Just a Quidditch match?" Ron mumbled through a mouth filled with chewed bacon. "It's the last game of the season, 'Mione, and we've got a chance to snatch the Cup!"

"If we win by three-hundred points," Edelyn muttered, staring pale-faced at her raisin bran muffin.

"Which we will," Harry stated firmly. "The team's flying the best we've done all year, and you—" He faced Edelyn. "—Demelza, and Katie have been running your plays near perfect."

Edelyn smiled lightly and pressed her thumbs beneath Harry's eyes, examining them closely. "Oliver? You hiding in there?" 

Harry chuckled. He reached down to touch her hips but retreated when Dale Creevey appeared out of thin air, sporting a red shirt and gold rosette. 

"Hi, Edelyn!" he beamed. "I just wanted to wish you luck for the match! And—" He reached into his pocket and held out a silver coin. "—to give you this. It's my lucky sickle."

"Merlin's — Wow, thanks, Dale." Edelyn swung her legs over the bench and dithered before offering him an awkward hug. 

Dale blushed, smiling shyly before he skipped back to the Hufflepuff table.

Ron stared after him. "Bloody hell...I think that Creevey kid's got a crush on you." 

Edelyn rolled her eyes. "Don't be an idiot. He's a second-year." 

"I seem to recall you swooning over Oliver Wood in second-year." 

Edelyn glowed bright pink. "Hermione!

Ron grimaced, then burst into snickers. "You used to fancy Wood?" 

"I — it was just an innocent — oh, piss off, Ronald!" She tossed a fork at his nose. 

"Hmm...sounds like somebody has a thing for Quidditch captains..." Harry mumbled beneath his breath, too quiet for either Ron or Hermione to hear over the chatter in the Great Hall. 

Edelyn glared at him, but the corners of her mouth twitched as she knocked her knees against his. He grinned at her, edging on smug, and then his confidence completely vanished when they marched onto the pitch. It seemed as if the whole school had turned up to watch the match and the stands roared with boos and cheers. 

After two hours, the Gryffindor team was ahead by one-hundred-and-sixty points. 

Edelyn was dripping in sweat. She leaned forward onto her broomstick and zipped towards the goalposts, following Demelza's lead. She swerved and narrowly missed a bludger when a sudden clamour sounded from the stands.