― xi. puppy love springs in spring

𝓟𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝓛𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝓢𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬𝐢𝐧 𝓢𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠

𝓟𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝓛𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝓢𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬
𝐢𝐧 
𝓢𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠

Their fingers were intertwined when they walked into the Gryffindor Common Room the next morning but soon uncoiled when Cormac McLaggen accosted them at the portrait hole.

"There you are, Potter!" the seventh-year exclaimed, completely oblivious to the blanched expressions on Harry and Edelyn's faces — looks that one might adopt when their mother catches them taking a cookie out the cookie jar before supper. "I was waiting for you last night, but never caught you," McLaggen continued. "Look, I saw them taking Weasley up to the hospital wing yesterday, and it didn't look like he'll be fit for next week's match."

"Oh." Harry scratched the side of his head. "Erm...No, I suppose not."

"Well, then, I'll be playing Keeper, won't I?" he demanded and Edelyn coughed from the suffocating air of smugness.

Harry frowned. "Yeah...I...I suppose so."

Edelyn's jaw fell.

"Excellent!" McLaggen exclaimed, grinning widely. "So, when's practice?"

"There's one tomorrow evening."

McLaggen nodded, then lowered his voice and stepped closer to Harry as if Edelyn's presence was an intrusion. "Listen, Potter, we should have a talk beforehand. I've got some ideas on strategies you might find useful, especially plays for the Chasers. They could really work on their—"

"Right," Harry cut him short. "I'll hear them tomorrow," he said tersely. His hand found Edelyn's once more and he guided them up to the boys' dormitories.

"Have I done something to offend you?" Edelyn asked, sitting down beside Harry on his fourposter bed.

"What, no. Why...? Huh?"

"Surely, you're punishing me for putting McLaggen on the team!"

"We don't have time for another try-out," Harry explained.

Edelyn scoffed. "Brilliant. Just brilliant."

Harry smiled and leaned forward, pecking her on the lips. "Does that make it better?"

"Mm...A little." She returned the kiss, then jerked away, hands cupped over her mouth. "Merlin's pants!" she exclaimed. "I...I canoodled with my Captain..." Shock twisted into a smirk. "It's...It's kind of hot."

Harry sniggered, then leapt as far away from Edelyn as possible when Neville, Dean, and Seamus returned from breakfast.

"Oh, hey Lyn," Neville greeted.

"Morning," she returned.

"How's Ron doing?" Dean asked, plopping down on his bed. "We heard he's in the hospital wing."