― v. gunpowder and vanilla

𝓖𝐮𝐧𝐩𝐨𝐰𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝓥𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐚

Gunpowder, broomstick handle polish, and vanilla — a most seductive aroma wafted in the air as Edelyn walked into their first N.E.W.T. potions lesson the next day. She frowned as she perched herself onto the stool beside Hermione. For a moment, she thought she had stuffed her face into a box of toy explosives. The overpowering scent of sweet vanilla was oddly familiar too, but like a word at the tip of her tongue, she couldn't quite pinpoint why. 

Professor Slughorn stood at the front of the classroom, his immense belly hidden behind two steaming cauldrons. As Edelyn breathed in the vapours, she felt a warm, bubbly sensation glowing in the pit of her stomach. The corners of her mouth curled into a grin.

"Now then, now then," Slughorn greeted. "Scales out, everyone, and potion kits. And don't forget your copies of Advanced Potion-Making."

Edelyn was digging her textbook out from her schoolbag when she heard the distinct sound of Ron's blundering footsteps. 

"Sorry, Professor Slughorn!" Harry said as he and Ron stumbled in. "We didn't realize we'd be able to do the N.E.W.T." 

"Professor McGonagall informed us just now," Ron panted.

Sniggers broke from the Slytherin bench. Hermione stopped Edelyn from chucking a sloth brain.

"Ah, Harry m'boy!" Slughorn exclaimed, clapping his hands together excitedly. "Not to worry, my dear boy, not to worry at all. We've got a small stock of old books in that cupboard in the corner over there. You can borrow a copy from there, and in any case, we'll be working in pairs for the majority of the term."

Harry and Ron quickly grabbed two copies and joined Edelyn and Hermione at their table.

"Lyn, you wash your hair this morning?"

Edelyn blinked at Harry and touched her hair self-consciously. "No...why?"

"Now that we're all settled—" They returned their attentions to Slughorn. "—, I've prepared a few potions for you to have a look at, just out of interest, you know. These are the kind of things you ought to be able to make after completing your N.E.W.T.s. I'm sure you have heard of them, even if you haven't made them yet. Anyone tell me what this one is?"

He indicated the cauldron nearest to the table at which the Slytherins sat. Everyone raised themselves slightly in their seats to get a better look. Harry shrugged — it appeared nothing more than plain water boiling. A few of his peers, however, seemed to have seen something he couldn't, for their hands shot up in the air.

Slughorn pointed to Edelyn. "It's Veritserum," she answered, "it compels the drinker to tell the truth." 

"Very good, very good!" Slughorn said happily. "And what about this one?" He pointed to a second cauldron from which rose spirals of steam. Standing once more from his seat, Harry could tell that the potion inside gleamed a mother-of-pearl sheen.