― xiii. a mother's kiss

𝓐 𝓜𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝓚𝐢𝐬𝐬

𝓐 𝓜𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝓚𝐢𝐬𝐬

A damp bitter hollowness flowed into a soundless warmth — like an embrace after a rainy day — before retreating back into a cavern of velvety darkness. 

The ebb and flow. A tug and pull. Black and white invigorated every cell of Edelyn's body. In and out. In and out until the contrasting tints blurred into a veil of grey. A breath of air filled her lungs and her fingers tingled, tickling above sun-soaked grass. The soft chirping of birds hummed in her ears and a light breeze blew strands of ebony across her face. Someone called her name. The familiar voice was distant at first, but with each echo, it grew closer and closer until she finally fluttered her lashes open. Squinting, she blinked up at the figure hovering above. 

Silence expanded. 

Seconds stretched. 

And then it finally hit her. 

With his name escaping her lips, she jerked upright and flung her arms around his neck, fingers clutching so tightly at his shirt that her nails dug into his skin. She felt his arms encase her and her body quivered into tears. 

"Shhh...Shhh, it's okay, Lynnie. It's okay." His palm found the small of her back. "You're okay." He pulled away momentarily and wiped the hot tears from her cheeks. 

"Ced, I — I..." Her words spluttered over stifled sobs. "I've missed you. I've missed you so much." 

Cedric Diggory smiled and ruffled her hair. "I've missed you too, Lynnie." 

Edelyn sniffled. She rubbed her nose and took in their surroundings. They were in the same spot as she was before, outside on the castle grounds with Hagrid's hut in view. She flinched and reached up to her neck.

"Am...am I d-dead?" 

She blushed. The question sounded silly. 

"Not exactly," Cedric replied. "It's...it's kind of hard to explain." 

"But — but if I'm not dead..." Her lips fell into a frown. "..., does that mean you're not real? That this isn't real?" 

Cedric puckered his brow and shrugged. "You can see me, can't you? And I can see you and hear you and hug you. I think that makes this real enough, wouldn't you say?"

"I...I suppose so," Edelyn mumbled. 

Cedric rose to his feet and offered her his hand. "Come on, they're people waiting for you." 

"People?"

"Yeah, you'll see."

He lifted her to stand and led her toward the Black Lake. As they approached, she saw three figures standing beneath a beech tree, hidden in the shade of leaves. One of them barked a laugh.