― 24 | THE BATTLE OF HOGWARTS

WHISPERS BROKE OUT IN THE GREAT HALL as Harry and Edelyn entered

WHISPERS BROKE OUT IN THE GREAT HALL as Harry and Edelyn entered. Brows knitted, they scanned the rows of students for Ron and Hermione but could not spot them among the sea of heads. In the middle of the House tables stood Professor McGonagall, organizing the evacuation. 

"And what if we want to stay and fight?" Ernie Macmillan shouted, standing up at the Hufflepuff table.

"If you are of age, you may stay," McGonagall said. "We have already placed protection around the castle, but it is unlikely to hold for very long unless we reinforce it. I must ask you, therefore, to move quickly and calmly, and do as your Prefects—"

But her words were drowned as a different voice echoed through the hall. High. Cold. Clear. Heads turned, but there was no way of telling where it was coming from; Harry felt Edelyn shudder. 

"I know that you are preparing to fight," the voice boomed. "Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. Give me Harry Potter, and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter, and I shall leave the school untouched. Give me Harry Potter, and you will be rewarded. You have until midnight."

Silence fell as everyone's eyes found Harry. Then, there was a scream from the Slytherin table. "But he's there! Potter's there! Someone grab him!"

Instantly, there was a massive movement. With her hand still holding his, Edelyn stepped forward and placed herself in front of Harry, an eyebrow quirked daringly at Pansy Parkinson. The Gryffindors rose to their feet and all faced the Slytherins. The Hufflepuffs then stood, and almost at the same moment, the Ravenclaws, and Harry could see wands emerging everywhere beneath cloaks and from under sleeves.

"Thank you, Miss Parkinson." McGonagall's lips were thin. "You will leave the hall first with Mr Filch. If the rest of your House could follow."

As the students began to evacuate, the members of the Order of the Phoenix and the D.A. began to plan battle strategy.

Harry pulled Edelyn aside. 

"Lyn, I'm going to go find Ravenclaw's diadem. I'm certain it's a Horcrux."

"Where do you think it is?"

"I — I'm not sure...But I'm going to go talk to the ghost of Helena Ravenclaw. She might know something."

"Well then, what are we waiting for?"

"Wait, no, Lyn, you're not coming," Harry quickly said. 

Edelyn frowned. "You're not going to be an overprotective prick again, are you?" She crossed her arms. "I thought we've been through this. I'm not some—"

Harry shook his head. "No, not that. It's just that — that—" He furrowed his eyebrows in thought. "It's just that you need to stay with the others." It was a partial truth. "They'll need all the help they can get with the protective enchantments around the castle. You're good with spells, Lyn, they need you. Hogwarts needs you. I — I'll be fine."