― xiii. hero syndrome

𝓗𝐞𝐫𝐨 𝓢𝐲𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐞

𝓗𝐞𝐫𝐨 𝓢𝐲𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐞

The story of Fred and George's flight to freedom was the sole topic of discussion over the next few days — Edelyn was sure that the Weasley twins were going to become Hogwarts legends. As the O.W.L. exams approached, however, she found herself missing the two troublemakers more than ever. She hadn't realized until they were gone that she had a habit of seeking them out when stressed, especially when her head hurt from the constant bickering of Ron and Hermione.

Before long, it was the first Sunday of June and the fifth-years were to have their first O.W.L. exam the following morning on the Theory of Charms. The Gryffindor Common Room was full of fifth- and seventh-years cramming their minds with long-forgotten knowledge, and anyone who spoke too loudly was quickly booted out the portrait hole.

Harry, who had agreed to test Hermione, was quickly regretting it. Bushy-haired and red-eyed, Hermione was very agitated and kept snatching Achievements in Charming back from him to check that she had gotten the answer completely right, finally hitting Harry hard with the sharp edge of the book.

"Look, 'Mione, why don't you just do it yourself?"

Hermione didn't give a second's thought before grabbing the book from him and burying her nose in it.

Meanwhile, Ron was throwing Edelyn his best puppy eyes.

"Please, please, pleeeeeeeaaaaase," he begged, tugging at her arm like a child pleading for sweets.

Edelyn narrowed her eyes at him. "Ronald Bilius Weasley, I am not giving you my notes!"

"Oh, but pleeeeaaaaasssseeee! I can barely read my own, and you're not even studying yours right now. Oh, please, Lyn, for your favourite Weasley?"

Edelyn raised her eyebrows and drummed her fingers against her lips. "At the moment, I'm seriously reconsidering who my favourite Weasley is. I wonder what Fred would say if I—"

But Edelyn couldn't help but feel her heart melt at the look of utter desperation that spread across the ginger's face. With a playful roll of her eyes, she reached into her bag and handed Ron two years worth of Charms notes.

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!" he beamed, flinging his arms around her and squeezing her into a bone-crushing hug. Snorting a laugh, she pushed him away and sent him a you-owe-me look before leaving him to read.

"Nervous?" Edelyn asked as she then plopped down beside Harry.

"You'd think after facing a Dragon, an exam would be a piece of cake..."

Edelyn laughed. "Well, that's because you want to become an Auror. Can't get a prestigious job like that without getting top grades."

Harry deadpanned. "Thanks for the reminder, Lyn, truly, really appreciated," he grumbled.