Chapter 8: I'll protect you

By the time Yu Ming and Xi Jun returned, An Lian's fever had gone down and he was sleeping peacefully in his bed. Meanwhile Jian Chen was quietly on his laptop in the corner desk.

Not wanting to wake up or disturb An Lian, Yu Ming and Xi Jun snuck to their desks and turned on their laptops to play. But after a short while they realised that the keyboard's clicking might wake An Lian so they reluctantly turned off their laptops and went to bed.

The next day, An Lian had a lecture around midday. Luckily his fever had completely gone away and he was feeling much better so he collected his textbooks and went to head out the door, but before his hand could touch the doorknob Jian Chen, who was also leaving, said something,

"Are you feeling better, can you go to class?"

An Lian replied slightly embarrassed, "I'm fine, it was nothing really..."

Ah really... getting sick like that and having another man look after me like a baby... his impression of me must be really bad- wait. When did I start caring about his impression of me, oh no have I... TURNED INTO XI JUN.

"I'll be going now." An Lian said with a slight nod of his head before heading out the door.

An Lian promptly made his way to his lecture hall and sat in his usual seat, near the back and to the wall side.

At the same time, another person walked into the class – Ru Lan.

Ru Lan, spotting her favourite uke, immediately went over and sat next to him.

"Hi hi~ I'm Ru Lan what's your name?" Ru Lan asked with a big smile on her face the second she sat down.

This caught An Lian, someone who rarely interacts with people, off-guard.

"Hi... my name is An Lian..." An Lian replied cautiously side glancing the ball of energy next to him.

According to Jian Chen, is this the type of girl I should stay away from?... wait a minute... she looks familiar...?

"You have a dog!" An Lian suddenly shouted, causing nearby students to look back at him.

An Lian quickly blushed and looked down, "Um, I mean-"

Ru Lan interrupted him and answered, "Ah that was my friends dog, hehe, you remember that?"

An Lian looked up at the smiling face of the strange girl in front of him and thought:

This girl... doesn't seem so bad. Maybe her head is a bit lost... but her heart is in the right place. Not like Jian Chen said at all!

[A/N An Lian doesn't see Ru Lan in a romantic way, in fact he doesn't really know the meaning of the word 'love', he's just thinking that maybe not all girls are evil as Jian Chen implies]

And so, as the lesson went on, Ru Lan continued talking to An Lian - occasionally getting a response from the shy boy.

By the time the lecture ended, An Lian had a good impression of this girl.

An Lian- apart from his dormmates, had never made a friend before. Even becoming close to his dormmates, Yu Ming and Xi Jun, took a year of being forced to live together and see each other every-day. An Lian simply never looked for relationships with other people.

So, having this outgoing girl talk to him was somewhat... refreshing?

That night after completing some school work, An Lian decided to log into Red Dragon Quest. As expected, Raging Storm was also online.