Chapter 30: Sweetness

An Lian woke up before the sun and climbed up to Jian Chen's bed above him.

He carefully crawled towards the mass of blanket and found the top end. Leaning down close to the man's face he whispered, "Jian Chen, you have to wake up. You said we would go shopping before we leave so we have to get ready now."

Seeing that Jian Chen did not respond, An Lian frowned and tried poking Jian Chen's back.

Jian Chen still did not respond and An Lian was getting frustrated.

An Lian: "Jian Chen ah, you-"

An Lian was cut-off as the hand that was poking Jian Chen was grabbed and lifted above his head. In lightning speed, Jian Chen had turned around - locking the smaller boy underneath his body.

An Lian almost jumped out of his skin from fright, "Jian Chen you've been awake this whole time!?"

Jian Chen only smiled at An Lian, letting go of the wrist pinned above the boy's head only to poke his cheek.

An Lian tried to look mad but to Jian Chen this looked more like a pout.

Jian Chen: "Okay, let's get ready then."

As An Lian had prepared everything the day before, it only took a short while before the two set off.

The first stop was the morning markets.

An Lian walked around picking out various snacks they could eat during the day while Jian Chen trailed behind carrying bags. It was a very peaceful morning.

Once An Lian thought they had enough, they returned to the car and set off toward the countryside.

The drive out of the city would take about three hours and Jian Chen told An Lian he could sleep if he wanted. But An Lian was wide awake.

Jian Chen: "Is this the first time you're going out of the city? Why are you so energetic?"

An Lian replied cheerfully, "That's right! This is my first time I can remember. My aunt never really took me anywhere..."

Jian Chen could sense An Lian's mood drop as he finished his sentence.

Jian Chen asked, "You live with your aunt?"

An Lian tried maintaining a smile as he explained, "My parents died when I was very young, my aunt took me in. I'm very thankful for that. She lets me attend university... if I achieve a certain grade."

Jian Chen saw the pain in An Lian's eyes as he talked and knew there was more to the story – but this trip was meant to cheer him up so Jian Chen quickly changed the topic.

Jian Chen: "Don't worry An Lian, since it's your first trip, I'll make sure it's special."

An Lian smiled sincerely as he said, "It's already special, thank-you Jian Chen."

Despite An Lian's initial energy, he did fall asleep during the last hour of the drive.

Reaching the destination, Jian Chen turned off the engine and woke up An Lian.

Leading the way on foot, Jian Chen took An Lian through a small cluster of trees that led to a large clearing of tall grass and hills. A fine layer of snow blanketed the top of the grass creating a surreal landscape. On the far end of the clearing was a pebbly river that ran from one side to the other.

An Lian opened his eyes in amazement.

An Lian: "Ah! Jian Chen, how did you find this place?"

An Lian didn't wait for Jian Chen to answer and directly ran off toward the river.

Jian Chen yelled, "An Lian, don't go too far I can barely see you in this tall grass!"

"I won't! I'm only going to the river!"

An Lian's head barely peeked over the top of the grass and it was hard for him to get his bearing right.

He ran around for a bit but had still not found the river.

Where did it go? It was definitely this way.

An Lian stopped and thought for a while.

Suddenly, a pair of strong arms wrapped around his waist and hoisted him up above the grass.

An Lian: "AHHH!"

An Lian wiggled around in fear before realising his attacker is Jian Chen.

An Lian: "Jian Chen you scared me to death I thought I was being abducted!"

"You are." Jian Chen replied while walking towards the river's edge.

Once there, he put down a flustered An Lian who ran towards the river and looked around.

An Lian: "Jian Chen! Look over there, that would be a nice spot to eat!"

An Lian was pointing to a grassy patch on the other side of the river.

Luckily the river was calm and shallow, the rocks made perfect stepping platforms so the two could easily cross.

An Lian was eager to cross and made the first move. The first few rocks were easy but the middle of the river was a bit trickier. An Lian was starting to worry and his shaky legs almost caused him to trip.

Jian Chen was quick to notice and rushed over.

Jian Chen: "Let's do it together."

An Lian: "Okay."

Jian Chen took An Lian's hand and guided him across the river safely.

Upon reaching the other side, Jian Chen did not let go of An Lian's hand and they walked to the spot together.

Spreading out a blanket An Lian had packed, the two sat down and ate food by the river while discussing various topics.

Jian Chen took An Lian's hands and brought out a hot drink that had been keeping warm in a thermos. He placed the drink in An Lian's cold hands putting his own hands around the smaller ones.

An Lian was a bit embarrassed with the intimate gesture but had started getting more used to Jian Chen's caring nature.

Once finished playing around, it was already afternoon and time to set off.

Jian Chen took An Lian's hand again and guided him all the way to the car. An Lian slept during the journey back, and Jian Chen couldn't wipe the small smile that had formed on his face off during the whole three-hour ride.

At the dormitory, Jian Chen contemplated carrying An Lian up but decided against it – Yu Ming was up there.

So he woke him up and they walked up the stairs, An Lian heading straight to his bed again to sleep.

----------

A/N

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late update, I've been moving all day :).

But I'm done now so that's good.

Thanks to all the wonderful people who voted, when I checked my notifications the next day I found a couple hundred extra votes! Wow, you're really the best!

I'll see you soon.

 - Light