Chapter 35: In this life and the next

There were still things left unexplained to Jian Chen.

If it's got nothing to do with Ru Lan, why can't An Lian play anymore?

As the two walked back to the dorm, Jian Chen couldn't help but notice An Lian's low mood.

Jian Chen: "Is that Meng Ying girl still bothering you, don't worry, I'll take care of her."

An Lian replied, "Ah no, it's not that... I just..."

An Lian couldn't quite find the words to say and Jian Chen noticed his emotional conflict. Come to think of it, An Lian didn't seem that happy recently at all. When Jian Chen saw him, he would already have gone to sleep.

Is there something going on?

Jian Chen decided to ask, "An Lian, did something happen recently? You seem a bit unhappy."

An Lian knew he would have to tell the other anyway. So he took this opportunity. The initial shock was gone now anyway, and An Lian wouldn't cry anymore.

An Lian took a deep breath and explained, "My family is moving to the countryside to live with relatives... Which means I'll have to move too."

Jian Chen was somewhat confused with the announcement, "Why can't you stay here to study? You live here at the dormitories."

An Lian continued, "Well, they pay for me here. And they said once they move they wouldn't anymore, so I couldn't continue studying here. Instead, I would have to find work over there to pay off what I owe them."

Immediately, Jian Chen wanted to offer to pay for An Lian, but he knew the boy would outright refuse, so he had to be careful with his words.

Jian Chen: "You owe them money?"

An Lian looked up and answered, "Of course, they pay for my food and living."

Jian Chen, "Isn't that what they're supposed to do as family?"

An Lian creased his brow, "Is it?"

Jian Chen hopelessly gazed at An Lian.

Jian Chen: "So, the reason you have to go is because you can't pay for yourself, right?"

An Lian slowly nodded his head.

Jian Chen: "I can lend you money."

An Lian waved his hands in front of him in protest, "Oh no, you don't have to do something like that. I really can't ask that from you."

Jian Chen foresaw this reaction and continued persisting, "It's really nothing to me An Lian, I don't mean to boast, but my family is well off. In fact, you don't even need to pay me back, take it as a gift..."

An Lian quickly interjected, "No, of course I would pay you back!"

Jian Chen raised one eyebrow triumphantly, "So you agree? Great, I'll decide how you can pay me back then."

An Lian, realising he had been swindled, opened and closed his mouth thinking of words to say.

An Lian: "I'll definitely get a part time job to pay you back!"

Jian Chen: "An Lian..."

An Lian: "That's my condition. Otherwise, I'll feel horrible."

Jian Chen: "Do you want me to talk to your aunt about your decision. I know it's hard for you."

An Lian: "Ah? But this is my problem, I should-"

Jian Chen interrupted, "Actually, I have some things to talk to her about anyway."