Chapter 17: Returning home

It was not okay, because An Lian had embarrassed himself in front of Jian Chen again.

He was a man after all. Being hugged and comforted by another man... An Lian didn't want to think about it.

An Lian insisted he was okay. That's when he remembered.

"Ah! We are late for class!"

So the two raced over to their class which had started fifteen minutes earlier. Jian Chen apologised for them and the female teacher let him get away with it.

An Lian: I guess even the teachers can't help themselves... Jian Chen is very popular...

An Lian wanted to get away from Jian Chen but it was no use. Jian Chen stuck by his side like a bodyguard, to make sure no one would dare approach him.

After class they returned to their dorm.

An Lian started packing a small backpack with some basic items as he was preparing to go visit his aunt's house.

"Where are you going?" Jian Chen asked.

"Home, I haven't been back in a while..." An Lian replied.

"Do you need a ride?"

Jian Chen has a car?

"No, that's okay. I'll catch the bus. It's not too far." An Lian replied with a smile.

The bus commute from the university and An Lian's aunt's home was about two hours. It wasn't too long, but not something An Lian liked doing – but of course he didn't want to bother Jian Chen with driving him.

An Lian left the dormitory building and made his way to the nearest bus stop.

It was cold today, and An Lian was wrapped in a thick winter coat. But this didn't stop him from shivering as he waited for the bus to arrive.

Once the bus did finally arrive, An Lian got on and sat near the back at a window seat. He put in his earphones and listened to music as the bus took off on its long journey.

Truthfully, An Lian was not looking forward to returning home.

An Lian's real mother and father had both died when he was very young, and he had very little memories of them, so he was raised by his aunt. His aunt was a strict woman. She had remarried when An Lian was seven to a loud, aggressive man. That uncle was probably one of the reasons An Lian hated raised voices and yelling.

His aunty also had children of her own of course, but they were on a different level to An Lian. She treasured and spoilt her two daughters, while she was harsh with An Lian. While he was growing up, An Lian tried not to let these things get to him.

He always thought he would just have to make his own way in life. Which is why he went to university- despite his aunts disapproval. He managed to convince her saying that the money he will make with an education will be one-hundred times greater than if he worked a laborious job in a factory.

So, with a small monthly allowance, An Lian was able to attend university.

Of course, his aunt expects him to pay everything back once he gets a job. As well as pay off his student loans.

An Lian tried not to think about this.

His aunt also expected An Lian to come home every once in a while, so she can check on his progress. If he were to drop from being in the top of class range in any subject, she would immediately cancel his enrolment.

Which is why An Lian always studied so hard and kept to himself.

He couldn't afford to not do well.

After what felt like many days, the bus finally arrived at his stop.

An Lian got off and made his way to his aunt's house...

The house itself was in a poor neighbourhood and pretty run-down. An Lian's family never did have much money, and when his parents died, that money went straight to his aunt.

This is one of the reasons she didn't want An Lian to go to university – she didn't want to pay for him.

"I'm here." An Lian announced as he unlocked the front door and made his way in. He heard voices from the kitchen.

"How was I supposed to know that!"

"Maybe by using your head!"

An Lian could already hear the shouting.

He made his way to his small bedroom near the back of the house. When he opened the door, he saw that it had turned into a storage room. Various items were stacked around leaving little room for mobility.

Sigh... I guess I'll sleep on the floor... I only have to be here for one night anyway...

An Lian was all too used to the yelling and fighting. He had grown almost completely numb to it.

"An Lian! Come here!"

An Lian heard his name and went over to the kitchen.

"Why did you take so long to come, I've got guests coming over this afternoon and a mound of dishes to cook, come here and help!"

An Lian rolled up his sleeves and went to wash his hands.

I guess I have to cook now, this is going to take all afternoon... I really wanted to play some Red Dragon Quest to make time go by quicker so I can return back to the dorm.

An Lian's aunt liked making An Lian come over – because it meant she had a free slave.

Which was helpful for days like this. She liked being popular with her friends, so she would frequently invite them over and make An Lian cook. They always complimented her cooking, but little did they know, it was a boy slaving away in the kitchen making their food.

An Lian didn't mind too much.

It's not that he hated cooking. He just wished someone would acknowledge him.

It took almost four hours for everything to be done, An Lian returned to his room and collapsed on the floor.

He was tired. Listening to his aunt and uncle yell at him all day was exhausting. He had slightly fallen in some of his classes recently and, despite still being near the top, his aunt was furious.

An Lian lay there on the floor staring at the ceiling for a while.

He then remembered he could still play today!

He went to his bag and pulled out his laptop. Plugging in the charger and finding a semi-comfortable place to sit, An Lian launched the game.

Storm was not online. But another person was.

-------------

A/N

Another day another chapter.

I hope everyone is doing well.

What do you think of An Lian's family? I'm sorry for making our shou suffer...

Bye now,

- Light