Chapter 6

I can't get the words of that man out of my head.
"Do tell me when you dump her like the other"
What the hell does that mean? How many hearts has he broken? How many times was he the reason of someone's tears? I know he is a player, and the next person who's heart he's gonna break is me.

"What's going on in that beautiful head of yours?" I blink a few times and then focus on the man sitting beside me in the limousine.

"Nothing." I reply, and look out of the window.

"Did I do something?" He asks, his voice breaking.

I shake my head and force a smile just not to seem rude. "Of course not. And I hope you remember that you'll not be bothering me from now on." He needs thats reminder, because people like him don't hang out with people like me.

We all know how difficult it is to mend a broken soul, right?

"Look at me," he commands, and without any hesitation I obey. His eyes are cold, almost as if the colour has been sucked out of them, like the warmth  never reached them. "I.... Eva, we'll discuss this tomorrow." I start to protest but he shshh's me with his finger. "Listen to me first. I know we made a deal. But today... today it felt really nice to be around. You feel like home, Eva. You make all my worries go away. I know it sounds crazy, but it's been a really long while since I've felt a safe feeling," he half laughs and then carries on. "I have done horrible things in my past. Things I myself can't believe I did them. But I can't change my past, could I?" He says it in a kind of statement, rather than a question. "I know you think I'm a horrible human, but at least give me a chance."

I close my eyes and breathe in through my mouth. He has confessed that he's done horrible things. But what? What if he does even more horrifying to me? What if once I get caught in this net, I won't be able to break free.

"No, Max. I'm sorry."

********
The morning sun shines through my window, making me groan sleepily. I roll over on my front, and bury my face in the pillow. The day hasn't even started and I'm already tired. No, actually my mind is tired.

I don't think Max is gonna leave me alone. I'm gonna face him today. But I sort of have this guilt in my heart, a feeling that I should've given him a chance. After all we're humans who make mistakes. It's funny how we humans put on a fake smile, and start our days. That's what we all are qualified in. Fake smiles. Maybe underneath that cocky, demanding man a broken soul is hidden.

Maybe I should at least give this friendship a chance.