Chapter 22

I stride in through the door of the police station, and shout in anger.

"Can someone come here! For God's sake!"

A young man rushes towards me, and I ask him to locate the number from which Eva called me. He tells me the location and I mentally curse Gideon. He says that it's an old building around 1 hours distance from here.

Without wasting another second, I run out of the station towards my car. Turning on the engine I drive to the stupid building.

Here I come, my girl.

...

"This should be it," I mumble to myself, and climb out of the car.

I didn't tell the police of what exactly had happened. If Gideon tells the them something about my past, I'd be in real deep trouble . I can't afford to get in trouble. Not when Eva's life is in danger. Because my father has various contacts, it was easy to fool them around.

Slowly, and quietly, I open the old wooden doors, and stride through. From the inside it's a normal place. But it's empty. There's a set of stairs that's leading to a single room, and suddenly a loud scream echoes through the hall.

Panick starts to build inside me, and without thinking about anything, I run, taking the stairs two at a time.

I yank open the door, and my heart shatters when I see her.

She is lying on the floor, covered with dark red blood. Her nose is bleeding, and she's screaming in pain. Her clothes are torn, and I can see that she has been beaten.

Gideon glances at me, and smirks. Then he hits her again on her back.

"NOOOOOOOO!" I yell, and run towards him.

*Eva's POV*
I don't feel anything.

Even when I see Max, I don't know whether to be happy or feel nothing at all.

As the thing collided with my back one more time, my arms got weak, and I fell on my front.

"NOOOOOO!" Max shouts, runs towards Gideon and punches him hard, causing him to lose his balance and stumbles on the bed. He hits Gideon over and over again, and Gideon laughs.

"I'll kill you!" Max growls, hitting him one last time before coming to me.

He falls on his knees next to me, and carefully lifts me up a little so that my head my resting on his thighs. Pain shots through my back, but I force a smile on my face.

"Max," I whisper, beads of tears constantly falling down my cheeks, wetting his jeans.

He lightly touches my face, almost like I'll vanish away. "I'm here. Don't worry. Can you walk?"

I shake my head. "I can't, Max. He has hit me a lot. I don't even feel anything." I bite my lip from crying out.

"He runs his free hand through his hair, and curses out loud.

"Okay, princess, I'm gonna carry you okay?" he asks sadly.

It will hurt me like hell, but do I have any other choice? "Okay."

He gently slides his arm, and I cry in pain.

"No.. No.. it'll hurt you. You're gonna have to walk, Eva."

"Max. Please, just carry me."

Cursing loudly, he lifts me up bridal style and walks towards the door. My brain and heart relax, I know I'm free. I'm free from this torture. I'm free from all the physical abuse. I'm free from Gideon.

I glance around the corner, and see him lying helplessly on the bed. He looks dead to me, but I hope he's not. That'll get Max in trouble.
But that doesn't mean I don't want him to die. I want him to feel all the pain I did. I hope he dies in pain.

...

He gently puts me down in the passenger seat, and says, "Call the police. I'll be back in a bit." He hands over me his phone and smiles lightly.

"No! Don't you dare leave me alone," I cry, tightly gripping his shirt.

He cups my cheeks, and speaks through honest eyes. "I promise nothing will happen to you now. I'll be back. Make the call."

I never thought I'd be saying this to Max. Never once did I believe my feelings. Even this he has done horrible things, I still love him. I'll love him no matter what. After all, we're all humans who make bad mistakes. And then we learn from it.

"Max... I love you."

He grins. "I know. I love you even more." And with saying that, he walks away.

There is no perfect lover, we are all flawed, but knowing those flaws and still loving with all your heart creates perfect love.

******
Stay tuned for the next part!
Vote if you like.