Chapter 30

I place my hand on my chest, I can still feel the frigid cold surrounding my heart, so I know it's there. But lately I can't feel it beating anymore.

Some say there's a reason why everything happens. I'm afraid, I guess. I can no longer feel strongly as I once did. I'm left between punching the wall, and crying my heart out.

Why take him away from me? Why do this to me. To his baby. Just why? Didn't we already suffer enough? Why is the universe so cruel? Why is it hurting me so much?

Once the doctor informs us that Max has hit his head real hard, so he's in coma, I fall on my knees and start sobbing. So hard, that the people sitting there come forward to ask what's happened.

I no longer hear Hailey shouting over and over again that I need to calm down. I no longer feel anything. I'm numb. I don't feel like holding Emma. Though I'm glad she feels safe with Rose.

"Eva! Calm down! Jesus, he'll be okay!" Hailey shouts at me, as she gently lifts me up, and settles me down on the chair.

I look at her through blurred eyes. "HOW CAN I CALM DOWN! I'm losing him, Hails. I'm losing him..." I yell through my sobs.

She cups my wet cheeks in her palms, and shakes her head, her own eyes watery.
"No. Don't say that. He'll be okay. He's really strong. Don't worry."

"I can't... I can't lose him...." I cry. My loud cries echoing through the waiting room.

"Shushhh.. you won't. I promise. He'll make it, baby. He'll make it," she soothes me. She thinks she can. But right now all I want is to hear his voice.

I want him to tell me how much he loves me.
How much he adores me. How he just can't live without me. I want to hear his infectious laugh.

I want him to smile at me and tell me that everything's going to be okay.

....................

*2 weeks later*

I gently hold his hand in mine, making sure not to touch the wires that are attached to his arm. For God knows what.

"Open your eyes, Max," I whisper. "Open.. please. Max, look at me." I beg him silently but he doesn't even move a little.

The doctors are saying that he may be hearing us. So yeah, that's how I'm mentally sane right now.

I talk to him daily. Every day I beg him to open those eyes, and look at me. I beg him to bless me with his beautiful smile. But this damn bastard won't listen!

"Max! Open your eyes! OPEN THEM!" I scream loudly.

All of a sudden I start to feel sick. I slap my hand on my mouth and rush towards the bathroom.

Once I'm done emptying my stomach, I wash my hands, and make my way back to the love of my life.

I think I might know the reason I'm sick.

I walk over to an unconscious Max, and press my hand on his shoulder.

"I love you," I whisper, and walk out.

..................

The doctor chirps, "Congratulations, Eva."

After so many days of pain, and hurt, I smile. It's not a forced one.

After a little chat with the doctor, I run towards Max's room, a grin plastered on my face.

I sit down on his bed, and laugh,
"Max! Maxxx! I have a good news!"

He still doesn't wake up.

I start crying. "Max please wake up. For me. For Emma."

And then...

His finger moves slightly, and I release a deep breath.

I laugh whilst crying.

"Yes, finally. . . Come back to me. Max! 15 days are enough!" I touch his hand affectionately.

His eyes open slowly, and I cry with happiness.

"Eva?" he mumbles.

I cry harder. "How dare you do this to us!"

He laughs lightly, a smile on his pale face.
"Hello, sweetheart," he says.

In a swift moment, all the tension lifts off my shoulders, and I sigh with relief. My soulmate is okay. My husband is back.

"Do you feel okay? Should I call the doctor?" I ask, as I hoist up.

He grabs my hand, and lightly pulls me back.
Shaking his head he murmurs, "No, Eva. I'm fine. My head just hurts a little. Stay with me," he pouts.

I laugh, fresh tears rolling down my cheeks.
"I'm here. And I have a news for you," I announce, whilst biting my lip.

"It can wait. First tell me where's my little princess?" He asks, observing his surroundings.

"She's with Rose. I thought the hospital environment would be bad for her."

He nods. "Right. I need to see her asap. Now, what's the news?" He looks worried.

I smirk. "Let it be a surprise for some time?" I ask him, and watch as his eyes go wide.

"Okay.... how long have I been gone," he asks, a look of confusion taking over his painfully handsome face.

I roll my eyes. "You were gone for 2 weeks, and I hate you for putting me through everything," I tease.

He smiles, and it reaches his gorgeous blue eyes. "Thank you, again. For holding on to me."

Jeez! Has this man lost his mind?

"Don't act stupid."

"I'm not. Love you, baby girl," he takes my hand, and kisses it affectionately.

"I love you, too."

******
Hey sweethearts!
First of all, I do read your comments, and I literally love you all!
Second, thank you for reading my book, and showing your love.
Third, the next chap will be the last one.
And check my other book: Finding His Cinderella, He's Back, Nathan James
Ax