Chapter 29

Eva
I'm not even surprised that we're sitting in the most expensive restaurant of all times. I mean, who am I even kidding? It's Max we're talking about, so of course show off is a must.

"Thanks," he snaps at the waiter who hurriedly collects the menu and practically runs away to get out order.

A ghost of smile appears on my lips.

"You know, he didn't do anything. Must you behave like a maniac with every guy?" I tease, fighting a smile.

I fail.

He growls.

"Must you always say the most inappropriate things at the most appropriate time?" He rests back in his leather chair (so extra) and fixes his gaze on my eyes.

I shrug innocently. "May I ask you something?" He knows I am gonna ask anyway so he just waits for whatever is to be bombarded at him.

All these years I had thought finding the perfect man would be slim to impossible, but guess I was wrong. Max is not exactly perfect, but to me he is. I get past his imperfections and see the real him, the one he didn't let me see some years ago, when we met for the first time.

I'm glad he doesn't build the walls around himself now.

"What if I leave you someday?" This wasn't really my question, and I am just messing around but he works his jaw back and forth like I've finally pushed his buttons.

Not good.

"And where do you think you're going?" he barks decently.

I don't know why but it makes me want to laugh. Of course I am not intentionally going to run away somewhere/leave him. He's my husband.

"Aggressive much? Chill, I'm just kidding." I roll my eyes dramatically in hope he would stop fuming with anger but he remains angry like a beast.

"You know," he begins, "Your theories in why or when or what I'll be doing when you leave really sets me off the edge." He braces his arms on the table. I inch back. "So do me a favour, my wife, and don't push my buttons. You aren't going anywhere, end of story."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

His lips twitch at the corners.

Victor.

The waiter appears with two plates balanced on his right arm. Impressive. He shakily places them in front of us, definitely not okay around Max. He asks if we want anything but this time I tell him no (with a smile) and free him.

I take a small bite of my steak, and oh god! It's so amazing!

"Like?" Max asks, observing my reaction.

"Very," I reply.

His smile I get dazzles the surrounding.
...

I hear my baby crying.

Immediately, I push away the covers, and sleepily hold her in my arms.

"Shushhh baby..Mommy's here." I cooed.

I wish Max was here. Last night, he got a call that today he had to attend a meeting in New York, so he left early in the morning.

She stops crying and I smile at her. But she still cries like someone has hit her or she dropped on the floor. God, that would be awful I grab my phone from the side table to check the time, then I see 35 missed calls from Rose.

My breath gets caught in my throat.

I quickly dial her number, and she picks on the third ring.

"EVA! Oh my god! Are you okay?" She shouts, and I can feel that she's crying.

I panick. "Rose, what is it?"

She starts sobbing, and when she speaks, my whole world falls apart.
"Max had a terrible accident! I'm on my way coming to pick you up. He's in the hospital and the doctors are saying that he... he might not be able to survive."

I scream.

I scream so loud that my cries dissolve the ones coming from my baby girl.

No. No. No.

This can't be happening. I'm not losing him.

I AM NOT LOSING MAX!

******

Stay tuned :(
Also, check out my other books

Stay tuned :(Also, check out my other books