Chapter 9

I slam the door shut behind me and walk towards Max with a smile playing on my lips.
He's leaning against his car, a satisfied grin on his full lips.

Hailey had some important stuff to do, so I asked Max if he could pick me up. Cliche, I know, but walking to school didn't really seem like an amazing idea.

"Hi," I chirp, and start to chew on my bottom lip.

"Hey! You ready to go?" He asks as he opens the passenger door for me. He smiles at me affectionately, and I can't hide my own.

I nod.

I slide in my seat, and tightly wrap my arms around my school bag, as if my life is dependent upon it. "Today, three girls will be nominated as the future Queen of Beauty." I murmur sadly. I tilt my head and give Max my 'puppy dog face'. My school has this weird tradition of making just one girl the Queen. In my opinion, it's just a stupid title girls are dying for.

He laughs shaking his head, and puts the car in drive. "That was literally the cutest pout I have ever seen. And you don't need to worry about the girls, I mean they all know you're the most beautiful girl ever." He takes the second left, and increases the speed a little.

My heart does a happy dance upon getting a compliment from him. I sneak a glance at him just to make sure he didn't witness my burning red cheeks. I hate how I turn red in an instant.

"I am not. There are many girls that have perfect skin and look fabulous all the time. Like seriously, they don't even sweat!"

His loud laughter warms my heart. "Trust me, they do sweat," he replies in disgust. "And they hide their normal skin under tons of makeup. It's gross, really. Don't ever hide yourself behind makeup and stuff. You're perfect just the way your are, Eva."

"Nobody's perfect," I mumble, more to myself than to him. I've committed sins myself, so that doesn't make me 'perfect'. And being isn't all about the physical appearance.

I close my eyes for a brief moment. Images of my past flashes through my eyes, the happy family I had, the amazing house. My chest tightens as I push away the sad memories. I hate pushing them away, they are a part of me, a part that I've stored in a box, locked it, and placed it somewhere in my mind where I control them. But if I keep living with those constantly on my mind, after some time, I sob till my eyes no longer shed any tears. It's just torment for me.

"I heard you declined to go shopping with Rose?"

Blinking a few times, I take in Max's words and frown when they finally make sense to me.

"How in the world did you know about that? Are you spying on me?" My voice all of a sudden increases to a new level. He's my very close friend, really, but there are certain boundaries that shouldn't be crossed. Again, I hate people knowing about my private life.

He glances over with a confused expression before glueing his eyes back to the road. Taking  a turn, he speeds the car, and says, "Of course not! I wouldn't do that. Rose and I share a class together, and she told me about you not agreeing to go with her. She seemed upset so I thought I might ask the reason."

What? Why would she discuss it with Max of all the people!?

"I'm not rich like her. What I mean is that I am happy just the way I am living. My sister is paying my school fees, so I don't ask her for extra money. She gives me enough money to buy good clothes, and Rose likes to shop from brands," I reply with complete honesty. I know Max would never judge me for my lifestyle. I hope.

The schools comes in view, and Max pulls his Aston Martin in the parking lot, this time decently. He tilts in his chair and faces me. I find myself drowning in his eyes. Is it even possible?

"You're going with her. Today."

I roll my eyes, and mutter, "sure."

"I'm serious. When is your birthday?"

My eyebrows knit in the middle. "Uh... 2nd March?"

He nods. "You can buy whatever you want to. Just consider it as a gift from me to you."

I sigh.

"You're not mad at me?" he questions, unclasping his  seatbelt.

I open the door, and get out of the car angrily. Then I bend a little and look at him, my expression hard. "No." I force myself to smile, and slam the door.

I know it's really not a big deal with what he did. It's cute, though. But I don't want for him to think as a charity case. I don't need anybody's money.

I hear the familiar sound of an engine roaring. Curiously, I look over my shoulder and see Max  turn his car on the road.

What? He didn't even bother telling me where he just went. I take a deep breath, force a fake smile, and walk in towards the entrance of school.

I don't look around while I march towards my locker. Though, I can sense each and every student chatting about me and Max as I cross them. Well, chatting would be used in a friendly way. The girls are burning with jealousy, I can sense it as I pass them.
I take quick steps, and a blonde stretches out her leg in front of me, and I tumble over....
Before my face could collide with the floor, some strange warm arms wrap around my shoulders, steadying me. I hear the blonde chuckles with her friends and mouths 'HE IS MINE' before striding away.

I look up and meet the stranger boys eyes. He is extremely beautiful. His eyes are the type of brown that was like a sweet chocolate. Unlike Max's (I mentally roll my eyes at my unreasonable man). They are glowing with humour and playfullness that gives you shivers and wraps you in a warm embrace at the same time. His cheeks have a little bit of warmth in them, and his full lips curving into a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet.

"I'm guessing you're Max's friend. He never makes any friends." I stop admiring him, and concentrate on his words. "I'm Gideon," he chirps grinning, and stretches out his hand for me.

Clearing my throat, I take it in mine. "Eva."

"Eva...," he mumbles as if trying my name out. "It's a beautiful name," he compliments sweetly.

I laugh a little. "Thank you. So.. you're new here?" I ask, eager to know.

He shrugs lightly. "Not exactly. Just rejoined."

"Why did you leave in the first place?" I ask, tilting my head to get a better look at him.

"Max and I have a bad past, Eva. Ask your beautiful man about the story if you're very eager to know," he tells, a hint of anger flashes through his face but is gone within seconds. The loud ring of the bell echoes through the corridor. "I'll see you around then," he added. As soon as he gets out of sight, I release a breath I didn't realise I was holding.

Max and I seriously need to have a conversation. I just hope it won't affect our friendship.

*******
Vote and comment if you liked.
Stay tuned for next chapter.
Ax