1

josh's point of view

the bakery is nestled between a pet store and a used book store. its nothing special really. a small brick building with light yellow walls and a small vase of daises in the middle of each table.

there is one thing that's special about the bakery. but it has nothing to do with the store. it's the people. well, person. tyler, according to his name-tag. he owns the shop, and he's the sweetest person ive ever met.

"how are you today, tyler?" the bell above the door rings when i walk in and he looks up at me with a small smile.

"my favorite customer," he beams at me, "im doing great, how are you?"

"im better now that im here," i take my regular seat at the counter and hold my head up with the heel of my hand. "ill have a cup of coffee, please."

"any sugar today?"

"you're sweet enough for me, darlin'," i wink at him and he blushes.

"oh, pft," he scoffs and presses a button on the machine behind him. "im not that sweet," he turns around after a moment and hands me the mug.

i blow gently over the steaming drink before i take a sip. "thank you."

"no problem, j," he bends over and picks up a small towel, moving around the counter to wipe the surface. he walks past me and he smells like buttercream.

"slow today?" i ask, making conversation with the boy a few feet away.

"you're my first customer of the morning. ive been practicing with some new recipes while im not too busy. you want to try it?"

"always," i nod and take another sip of my drink while he disappears into the back.

he returns with a pastry on a plate. "try one."

the biscuit is flaky and warm, and its laced with honey and cinnamon. possibly even some pumpkin spice.

"jesus, tyler, this is amazing," i take another bite and then a sip of my coffee.

he smiles brightly. "really?"

i nod eagerly. "its so good."

"do you want another?" he giggles as i shove the last bite into my mouth. i nod and he walks back into the kitchen, returning with one more for me.

i finish that one in seconds and my coffee is gone not long after. "gordon ramsey would be proud."

"i wouldn't go that far," his cheeks dust themselves pink and he shrugs, taking my plate and empty mug.

"i would."

the bell rings above the door and tyler helps the new customer. i watch him from my seat and he doesn't return to my side of the counter until the customer is sitting in the corner, her earbuds in and her laptop open.

"thats jenna. she's studying to be a nurse. she comes in from time to time," he leans back against the granite and glances over to the girl. "two chocolate chip cookies and a medium green tea."

"she seems nice."

"she is. i think she likes me though," his voice is a little quieter with his second sentence, even though she can't hear us.

"really? why dont you ask her out?" i feel my palms sweat a little at the mention of a date.

ive been wanting to ask tyler out for a while now. ive been coming in almost every morning since i discovered this place a month ago.

"oh," he lets out a small, nervous laugh. "i, um, i don't play for that team."

"me neither," i give him a small smile. "maybe, um... maybe we could go out sometime instead then."

(an: editing round 2)