62

tyler's point of view

"the fourth of july is tomorrow, tyler," maddy tells me. "and we still havent bought any fireworks."

we're both sitting in her living room, watching pepper and mia play together. i made the drive up so we could all watch fireworks tomorrow night.

"yeah, but im sure jay will have some. even if he doesn't, we're going to the big show downtown arent we?"

"yeah. but then we dont get to see jay run around like a chicken without a head because he burned his hand on a roman candle."

"good point," i sit up a little when i see josh coming down the hallway from the bathroom.

"what's a good point?" he sits next to me and wraps an arm around me.

mia comes up to me then, holding out a toy cup. "yes, mia. exactly. good point," i take the cup and pretend to take a sip.

"we were talking about tomorrow night. if we just go to the show downtown, we wont get to see jay run around weird because he burned himself," maddy tells him. "its really funny."

"ah. well, we should go buy some fireworks then," he says it with a smile on his face and then kisses my cheek. "ty and i can go. or we can stay and watch these two if you want to."

"id love to go. you two don't mind watching the girls?" she leans forward to look at josh.

"not at all," he pulls me just a little closer to him. "go for it."

-

josh and i are sitting next to each other on a picnic blanket next to my car.

my parents, maddy and her family, zack and his family, and jay with his girlfriend are all sitting somewhat close by, but josh and i are sitting together alone.

the fireworks havent started yet, but there should only be a few minutes before they do.

josh has an arm around me and my legs are laying over his, my head on his shoulder.

"happy fourth of july, ty," he kisses my cheek and smiles when i blush a bit.

the fireworks begin, color exploding in the sky. there's a chorus of applause and laughter.

mia wanders up to our blanket and plops down into my lap, giggling when another firework goes off.

"well, hello, miss mia."

she babbles some sort of reply and we carry on watching the show.

it goes on for about an hour, and we head to my parents house once it's over.

"that was fun," josh glances over at me from the drivers seat.

"yeah. im ready to be home, but we're still supposed to stay at my parent's house tonight," i sigh and lean my head against the window, closing my eyes. "wanna sleep in my own bed," i mumble, my eyelids already heavy.

"my sleepy boy," he rests a hand on my knee and i nod a bit, humming softly.

i do end up falling asleep, and when i wake up, its because josh is speaking soft words to me, rubbing my arm.

"wake up, sleepy head. we're here," his voice is warm and soothing and my eyes blink open slowly.

"huh?"

"we're at your parents house, baby. we have to watch a few more fireworks before you can sleep," he tells me.

i stretch and take my seatbelt off, slowly getting out of the car.

we head to the backyard and everyone else is already there. jay has already begun playing with the roman candles, and zack is taking pictures of maddy and tatum with sparklers.

"boys! youre here," my mom smiles and claps her hands. "we have a few sparklers and then a couple fountains."

"did we- OW," jay yells from across the yard, dropping the finished roman candle.

josh laughs, a cute little giggle.

"youre cute," i lean up and kiss his cheek. in the dim porch lights, i see a faint blush on his cheek.

"that's all you," he takes my hand in his and kisses the top of it. "lets go find a seat."

we end up sitting on the porch swing my dad put up last year, mia in my lap and pepper in josh's.

"you cant keep stealing our children," will says, "we love them too, you know."

"shhhh, im trying to watch the fireworks," i hold mia closer to me and watch as my dad lights the first fountain.

mia and pepper babble and coo at the lights and colors, a little drool-y, but cute all the same.

"i can't wait to have one of these," josh kisses the top of p's head and then takes her hand. she wraps her fingers around two of his fingers, unable to grasp any more than that.

"me too," i look at him with my niece, so enamored of the man beside me. "i can't wait to marry you."

-

the drive home the next morning doesnt seem as long as the drive there, which im grateful for. we did make a mandatory stop at taco bell, which probably helped.

"do you work tomorrow?" he asks me, taking a sip of his baja blast.

"unfortunately," i answer with a sigh. "i love my job, but i love being home with you and jim more."

"i work tomorrow too, dork. you wouldnt be home with me anyway."

"you know what i mean," i kick him gently under the table, "i miss you when im at work. im too clingy for this whole 'full-time job' thing."

"babe, you're fine," he reaches across the table. "we have forever to be together. a few hours wont kill you, yeah? youre strong."

"cheesy."

"gordita."

"i hate you."

"te amo mucho."

"no habla español."

"if you don't speak spanish, how did you know how to say you dont speak it?"

"no comprende."

(an: all of my ans on this book are just "hey sorry i havent updated in _ months this chapter sucks" and im like ?? just calm down margo jeez)