49

josh's point of view

due to the december weather, i've come down with a cold. however, i refuse to tell tyler. itd ruin our anniversary.

"what's the plan for today?" he's pulling a t-shirt over his head when he asks, and im sitting on our bed, already dressed.

"well, i got us tickets for the death cab for cutie show tonight," i smile when his face lights up.

"really?" he comes to stand between my legs and i hold his hips.

"really," i look up at him and he leans down and kisses me.

"thank you, josh," he puts his hands on my cheeks and then kisses my forehead. "thank you."

after he's ready for the day, we drive to a restaurant, the diner we ate at on our first date, for lunch.

"im so excited for tonight," he kicks me gently under the table. "i still cant believe you got such good seats."

"i know. im excited too," i smile at him and take a sip of my drink. "im even excited to pay too much for a couple t-shirts for the two of us."

"ill never take it off," he takes a bite of his burger and and a drop of ketchup comes out. "unless im eating."

-

when the time comes for us to head to the arena, i drive. tyler blasts music in the car, singing loudly.

"ty, baby, youre going to lose your voice before the show even starts," i laugh a little at his enthusiasm.

"SO BROWN EYES, ILL HOLD YOU NEAR CAUSE YOURE THE ONLY SONG I WANT TO HEAR. A MELODY SOFTLY SOARING THROUGH MY ATMOSPHERE," he continues singing at the top of his lungs until i park and turn the car off. "i was jamming," he pouts a little but eventually smiles again, too excited to stay upset.

we walk hand in hand to the line and wait our turn to go inside, showing our ticket to security and then finding the merch booth.

"i want that one," tyler tugs on the sleeve of my shirt, pointing to one of the tees.

"alright, baby," i kiss the top of his head and then step forward, telling the man which shirts we want.

we walk away after i pay and tyler holds the bag tightly in his hand.

we find our seats and then sit, just talking while we wait.

"its been so long since ive been to a concert," he tells me, leaning his head on my shoulder.

i wrap my arm around him and him. "me too."

"im probably going to end up hitting you at some point," he admits. "i get really into it, man," he laughs a little, slightly embarrassed.

"its not like you dont leave scratches down my back all the time. a little bruise is nothing," i speak quietly into his ear and his cheeks burn red.

"josh," he shoves me a little. "you cant just say things like that in public," he plays with the hem of his shirt.

"like what? like how sexy you are and how much i love it when you leave those scratches? lets me know how good i make you feel," i continue to whisper into his ear and he grips my knee tightly.

"josh," he whines a little and then i laugh, pulling away from him.

the lights dim not long after that and the opening act comes on, jumping and singing, hyping up the crowd.

tylers hand is still on my knee, and i put mine over his. neither of us are very familiar with the band, so we aren't too inclined to stand just yet.

"josh, if you keep talking, i might just have to sit on your dick in the backseat of my car after this is over," he says this in my ear, speaking a bit louder since music is playing now.

"im not complaining," i wink at him and he stomps his feet a little.

"ugh."

the opening act finishes their set and tyler cheers for them despite the fact that he didn't even stand.

"josh," tyler is pulling at my shirt again, his legs shaking. "its happening. oh, my god, its happening. theyll be coming on soon. im so excited," he's smiling so wide i can't help but smile back at him.

"i know," i press a kiss to his cheek and he giggles.

the lights dim again a few minutes later and tyler stands up, jumping up and down.

"JOSH, ITS TIME," he pulls me to stand with him, and then squeals when the music starts playing.

he sings every word to every song, jumping and clapping and swaying to the beats.

he's so engrossed in the show that its hard for me to look away from him, his eyes wide and shining in awe, sweat beginning to drip down his forehead as he jumps around.

"love of mine, someday you will die, but i'll be close behind and i'll follow you into the dark. no blinding light or tunnels to gates of white, just our hands clasped so tight," he sings the lyrics and grips my hand tightly in his.

i stare at him, and every sound but that of his voice fades. in my mind, ben gibbard could never compare to the amazing man standing next to me, and when he sings my favorite song, im at a loss for words.

"it sung like a violent wind that our memories depend on a faulty camera in our minds. and i knew that you were truth. i would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all."

(an: unedited and kinda short)