46

tyler's point of view again

"we need to get a christmas tree."

josh, jim, and i are all cuddled up on the couch, and a christmas episode of friends is playing.

"do you not have one?" i look over at josh and he shakes his head.

"no. i always stayed at my parents house. but we should get one," he nudges me gently. "you know, together."

"i think jenna said she was going to the store today to get christmas decorations for the cafe. we could just go with her?" i suggest, raising my eyebrows a little.

"sounds good to me, babydoll," he kisses my cheek and i pull out my phone to text jenna.

an hour or two after i text her, we're getting into her car and on our way to the store.

"so how are you two? did you have a nice thanksgiving?" she asks, a smile on her face as she drives.

"it was good. i went black friday shopping," i lean my head on josh's shoulder, thinking back to that night.

"well, i dont know what to get for anyone," jenna sighs from the front seat and pulls into the store's parking lot.

"we're just here for a christmas tree. we already know what we're getting each other," josh tells her.

i feel a bit of guilt creep into my stomach. josh probably got me something amazing, and i got him a sweater and a pair of shoes...

"are we getting decorations for the cafe while we're here?" jenna asks then, completely changing the subject and bringing me back out of my mind.

"duh," i pull on a smile and take josh's hand as we walk inside the store. "to the christmas section!"

josh and i pick out a tree fairly quickly, and have a box or two of ornaments in the cart next to it not long after. we buy extra lights and garland for lemondrop, and jenna pitches in for a mini christmas tree for the store.

"everyone can pick their own ornament!" she claps her hands and i push the cart to the checkout line.

"isnt a little early for christmas?" the cashier asks, scanning each of the items.

"its never too early for christmas spirit!" jenna tells him, the smile never leaving her face.

once we get home, we thank jenna for the ride and then start trying to setup the tree.

"you do the hard part. ill cook dinner," i kiss josh's cheek and walk to the kitchen before he can argue, and i look through the cabinets and the fridge for food. i decide on breakfast for dinner and start making scrambled eggs and bacon.

i hear some clattering in the living room and shake my head. "everything going okay in there?" i call out to him, holding back my laughter as i imagine him tangled in lights and fake pine needles.

"i may or may not have scraped my arm on one of the branches, and i may or may not be bleeding," he walks into the kitchen and holds his arm out to show me the cut.

i turn the stove down and step towards him to examine his arm closer. the blood is hard to see due to the colorful ink on his arm, but its there nonetheless. "joshua william dun, be more careful!" i sigh and pull him to the counter. i take a clean rag and wet it with warm water, dabbing it over the scrape. "hold that while i find a bandaid."

he does as i ask while i run to the bathroom and grab a slightly larger bandaid. when i return i set the bandaid down and take the towel from him, turning it to the drier side and drying the cut lightly before i put the bandaid over it.

"there. all better," i kiss his cheek. "ill finish the tree if you finish dinner. eggs and bacon."

"you said i would be a great father, but ill never compare to how great you'll be," he tells me, a smile on his lips.

"we'll be equally good parents," i kiss him one more time and then leave the room. "dont burn the eggs," i call to him.

i finish the tree without managing to hurt myself. i string the lights and garland, but i dont want to hang the ornaments without josh.

i go back into the kitchen and push myself up to sit on the counter. "almost done?"

"almost, love."

"i like it when you call me names like that," i tell him, my cheeks pink.

"noted," he nods and then puts a few pieces of bacon on each of our plates.

"is there anything specific that you, um, like that i do?" i remove myself from the counter to sit at the table.

"i love everything you do, baby boy," he says, nonchalant as he takes a bite of his eggs.

"no, but specifics. i feel like our relationship can be a bit one sided, if that makes sense. you do so much for me. i want to know what you like so i can do more for you."

"well, i like this part. i like that youre a good communicator. i like to listen to you talk about things. i dont know. i like when you sing. i hear you singing in the shower sometimes, or when youre cooking. you have such a lovely voice."

"really?" i blush a more vibrant pink and he nods.

"yeah. i love it."

"i love you," i say, my heart melting at his compliments.

"and i love you."

we finish eating and the clean up the kitchen together before we go back to the living room to hang our ornaments.

josh puts on christmas music and hums along.

"i really can't stay," i sing out the first words, and to my surprise, josh sings the counterpart.

"but baby, it's cold outside."

"i've got to go away," i continue, a smile on my face as i adjust a snowman on a branch.

"but baby, it's cold outside," his voice is quiet and soft. shy.

"this evening has been..."

"been hoping that you'd drop in."

"so very nice," i smile and step closer to him, taking his hands and pulling him to dance with me.

"i'll hold your hands, they're just like ice."

we dance to the music, singing and smiling, and everything feels right. safe.

perfect.

(an: soft)