•Chapter 1•

"Wake up, wake up."

"C'mon, wake up."

The annoying voice kept saying and soon the person was poking me in a very painful manner.

"Wake up before you're late for your first day back at school," the voice said once more.

I groaned and pulled the covers over my head. "Leave me alone," I whined.

The poking seized and soon I was drifting off to dreamland as though I hadn't just been disturbed a few minutes ago.

I was abruptly pulled from my sleep when I felt cold water sipping through my duvet and soaking me immensely, leaving me shaking uncontrollably.

"What the hell?" I exclaimed as I hurriedly ripped off the duvet and tossed it to the floor.

Who pours icy cold water on someone early this morning?

The person was laughing uncontrollably and I turned to find non other than James, my annoying older brother. He was bent over clutching his knees as he doubled over with laughter, "I told you to get up, didn't I?" he spoke in between laughs.

I glared at him so hard that if looks could kill then I'm pretty sure we'd all be attending his funeral in a couple of seconds. "Get out! I want to change," I said through chattering teeth.

But he continued laughing even as he walked out of my room. "You have twenty-five minutes to get ready and head to school before you're late Alexis," he shouted over his shoulder as he closed my bedroom door.

I hate him.

I quickly got up from my comfortable bed and made my way to the bathroom for a quick shower. The shower mostly consisted of me chattering my teeth as the water was unbelievably cold. After that, I wrapped a towel around my body and proceeded to brush my teeth and quickly tried to ran a brush through my messy curly brown hair to no avail.

I rushed to my room and got dressed in a plain white V-neck with blue wash jeans and put on some shoes and my glasses before grabbing my phone from the charger and stuffing my books into my school bag. I did I quick evaluation making sure I had everything before dashing downstairs.

James was seated by the island in the kitchen scuffing down a plate full of pancakes with a glass of orange juice. "There's some left if you want," he said through a mouthful of pancakes.

This boy eats like an animal, I thought to myself. "No I'll pass."

"Suit yourself," he said placing another forkful of pancakes into his mouth, "you only have ten minutes to get to school."

I walked to the fridge and grabbed myself an apple and a water bottle before making my way out of the kitchen.

"Oh and Alexis," James shouted as I was about to close the front door, "mum said to have fun and try and make friends this year okay?"

I rolled my eyes at him because that's what mum always tells me each year. "Bye James," I shouted back and closed the door.

The school was about a ten minutes walk and since I had less than that, I had to run for my dear life like a mad man being chased by a pack of wild dogs. I kept on praying to God to at least help me get there on time. By the time I reached the school parking lot, I was already panting and breathing heavily.

I need to get into shape. I thought to myself.

I checked the time and I had made it with four minutes to spare. Thank God!

The hallway was crowded with students as they chatted away with their friends about their winter holidays and what not. I made my way to my locker where my bestfriend Asher was already waiting for me.