•Chapter 36•

THERE STOOD NICK with a huge I'm Sorry banner hung above his head and another one that read You've Got A Donor beside it. There were different coloured balloons that were hung on the tree branches.

"Surprise!" James and Asher whispered in my ear as they went over and joined everyone else.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Was I dreaming? Because it sure felt like it and the worst thing was that I didn't want to ever wake up if it turned out to be a dream.

Everyone was gathered there: my parents, Dr. Dave, Sara, Lisa, Hailee, Leah, Riley, Kai and Jake. I couldn't really believe that they all went out of their way to tell me I had found a donor.

"Alexis!" Nick muttered as he walked up to me and stood a considerable amount away. "I'm sorry I didn't return any of your calls or texts but this," he said as he gestured to everything around, "was what James and I were busy planning for you and I know it's not an excuse but we got Asher, Kai and Jake to be there for you when we couldn't."

I looked over to James who had his hand wrapped around Lisa's waist and a sheepish smile appeared on his face.

"That day after you told me you didn't plan to get treatment, I was angry, upset and heartbroken because I didn't want to lose you too," he spoke softly and deliberately. "I told my mom everything and do you know what she said? She told me fight for you and not give up. So I made it my mission to find you a donor if it was the last thing I could do for you."

My body was shaking as I watched him talk.

"I called James and he agreed to help me when I told him my plan of finding you a donor," Nick continued. "I got tested and Jake, Kai, mom and even Leah also volunteered to get tested as well because they didn't want to lose you. Though I can't exactly say Leah willingly agreed," he looked over at his little sister as he spoke and she rolled her eyes.

Tears were rolling down my face like pools of water and I had to remove my glasses just so I could wipe them away. "Who-who is it?"

Dr. Dave stepped forward and my jaw practically hit the floor once more. "Oh no it's not me," he clarified as he saw my shocked expression.

"It's actually me," Leah spoke and walked over to me. "I couldn't see my brother go through so much heartbreak and not do anything," she smiled. "You owe me big time for this."

Nick rolled his eyes but didn't object either.

I pulled her into a tight hug making sure that the IV tube did not interfere. "Thank you Leah, it really means the world to me," I said as I pulled back from the embrace. "I can't believe you all did this for me, I feel like I'm going to faint from all this support."

"Don't faint on us," Kai smiled, "because then Jake might faint too," everyone laughed at his lame joke though I suspected he wasn't completely wrong.

My mum pulled me into a hug and quietly sobbed on my shoulder. "Thank you," she whispered in my ear and quickly wiped her tears away before she joined Dr. Dave and dad.

Sara came over and offered me a huge grin before she left to check on one of her patients who in her own words, "always complained about everything and nothing."

Hailee walked up to me with a tiny bag in her hand. "I'm so thankful that you've come in our lives," she said, "I've never seen Leah do anything nice for her brother and it's all thanks to you," she smiled.

I smiled gratefully. "You don't have to thank me Hailee, I'm the one who is truly grateful for what your family has and will do for me," I told her sincerely, "I honestly can't imagine how proud you must be to have a daughter like her."