•Chapter 33•

BEING STUCK IN the hospital for how ever long I had left was not one of my plans. But more importantly, I hated the fact that I had to be plugged to so many machines just to stay alive.

The room I was given was fairly larger than most hospital rooms. It had white walls with a large window overlooking the outside garden, a small flat screen television perched on the wall with a little refrigerator by the bedside. It also had two chairs placed in front of the telly with a small table which was about it.

I hadn't seen James since he stormed out of the office yesterday and I know he is upset with me and he just needs time to calm down but I miss him. Mum and dad came over yesterday to sign the papers and they even brought me a few clothes and some novels to read to pass the time.

This is my new home, I said to myself as I looked around the room for what felt like the hundredth time in less than 24 hours of me being here.

There goes my chance of ever becoming salutatorian, I sighed as I took the remote and mindlessly flipped through the channels.

"Good morning," Sara smiled as she walked into the room with a tray of medical supplies. "How are you feeling today?"

"I feel like someone who has been hospitalised," I joked. "It honestly sucks to not have anything to do or having to worry about an upcoming pop quiz or exam," I sighed.

Sara walked over to the bed and checked the blood bag before she injected a chemical in it.

"There's a beautiful garden out back and another indoor one, a library and a cafeteria," she answered, "you're always free to go there but with your IV tube that is," she smiled.

"The hospital has a library and this is when I'm finding out after all this time!" I exclaimed as I put a hand on my chest. "I thought we were friends Sara."

"Oh shush young lady," Sara said rolling her eyes playfully, "I only told you about it because I like you unlike those other patients I have to deal with who always complain each and every minute. They drive me crazy."

"Then why did you choose to be a nurse?"

"Just because some patients are unbearable doesn't mean all of them are," she simply answered.

After she was done checking the machines, she gave me a smile and told me she'd be back in the evening to check on me again but until then, I was free to do whatever it was that I wanted.

I got up from the bed and pulled the IV tube with me as I walked around the hospital looking for the library. It took me twenty minutes to find it and when I did, I grabbed The Great Gatsby and walked to the indoor garden she told me about.

The garden actually wasn't far from my room and it was breathtaking, just as Sara had said it would be. I found a spot under the large Marple tree and sat down getting lost in the book.

I don't know how long I sat there, but I eventually felt hungry and thirsty and I gently stood up and made my way back to my room.

"Where have you been young lady?" was the first thing I heard once I opened the door to my new room.

Asher was sat in one of the chairs watching a football match which I suspected he had already watched.

"Nice to see you too Asher," I said rolling my eyes as I sat at the edge of the bed.

"You had me worried. I came here to see how you were and how the hospital life was treating you only to not find you lying in your bed like every sick person should," he turned to look at me as he finished talking.