•Chapter 13•

OVER THE NEXT week, my relationship with the guys was beginning to evolve into something more than just mere acquaintanceship. I was spending so much time with them working on the assignment and getting to know them better.

Nick was slowly opening up to me and in all honesty he wasn't a bad guy-just reserved but once you got to know him, then you wish you'd known him earlier. "Hey," Jake said as he took a seat next to me on the bleachers.

"Hey!" I responded with a smile. "What brings you here?"

"I don't know. I just saw you and decided to come here," he admitted. "And what are you doing here?" he asked raising a perfect eyebrow.

"Waiting for Asher," I replied, "but he's still practicing so I decided to get some studying down." I said as I looked down at the field where Asher and his team were trying to get the football past their goal keeper, Dwayne.

"So things are better in the best friend department now," he said looking down at the field as well. "I thought you said he plays football not soccer."

"Yes that is football, you must be thinking of American Football," I said. "You're American aren't you?"

Jake turned to face me, "what gave it away? My lack of soccer knowledge?" he asked incredulously. "Yeah I'm not too familiar with how British English works anyway. It's quite confusing if I'm being honest."

I chuckled, "no it's not. It's the same English, it just uses 'our' instead of 'or'and calls soccer football and some other things but that's about it and you do know that lots of other countries use British English without it necessarily having to be Britain or England, right?"

"Sure," he replied, "anyway I got to go, the guys must be waiting for me."

"See you around."

Jake stood up and walked down the bleachers until he was no longer in sight. I sat there watching Ash and his teammates as they continued kicking the ball back and forth.

I don't know how long I sat there supposedly staring at the field until I was snapped out of my thoughts as Asher strode towards me with water dripping from his hair. "Ready to go?"

"Yes," I said as I stuffed my books into my rucksack and slung it over my shoulder.

We walked to his car and got in. He placed the keys in the ignition and just sat there not doing anything. "I can't believe it's finally Friday and I can finally rest from all the practicing Coach has had us do these last few days," he said as he finally put the car into drive and backed out of the parking lot. "Your place or mine's?" he asked as we were on the road.

"Mine's fine," I responded, "it's nearer and I'm hungry."

He chuckled as he pulled up into my driveway and we got out. "Didn't you have lunch?"

"No I didn't, I wasn't hungry."

"Sure you weren't," he said with a knowing smile.

I rolled my eyes at him as I unlocked the front door and entered. Asher immediately made himself comfortable on the sofa as he propped his legs on the coffee table and grabbed the remote flipping through the channels.

"Why don't you make yourself comfortable," I said sarcasm dripping from my voice.

"Oh I plan to," was all he said as his eyes were glued to the screen.

I walked to the kitchen and rummaged through the fridge for anything edible before retrieving left over Chinese food and warmed it up. After that, I returned back to the living room and sat next to Ash. "What's on?"