•Chapter 11•

I SPENT THE night in hospital and when morning came I couldn't be more happier to get out of here. Hospitals remind me of death and all the loss that people go through in them.

When Dr. Dave came to release me, I was already dressed in the clean fresh clothes that we left out for me.

"I can see you're in a hurry to leave," he joked.

"Honestly I'd rather be at school than in here," I said pointing around the room for emphasis. "It's so depressing though the pastel gives it a bit of life."

Dr. Dave chuckled. "You wouldn't be here in the first place if only you had followed the rules," he said and I only rolled my eyes at him.

"Your mum is waiting for you outside," he said.

We walked out of the room together heading towards the main entrance in silence but I knew he wanted to say something though I didn't know what it would be.

"I'll see you for your monthly check up," he said. "And please do try to take care of yourself because your mother worries about you, you know?"

I nodded, "I will Dr. Dave," I replied as I made my way out into the parking lot of the hospital.

Mum was in her car when I got there and she didn't say anything when I got in either. I felt hurt because I knew it was all my fault. It's always been my fault and that's why I made my decision to leave everything behind.

The drive back home was filled with a palpable silence that neither of us wanted to confront anytime soon. I leaned my head against the window and watched as the trees and buildings passed by in a flash. Before I knew it, we had pulled up in the all to familiar driveway of our house.

I got out and headed inside where dad immediately pulled me into a very tight bear hug.

"You scared me pumpkin," he breathed in my hair. "Promise me you won't ever scare us like that ever again," he said pulling away from the hug to look me straight in the eyes with his hands placed on my shoulders.

My heart broke at seeing both my parents looking so broken and hurt and my mind wandered to James and how he was holding up with everything. "I promise."

"She doesn't mean it," Mum said from the staircase. "She doesn't care about any of our feelings and that's why she's doing what she's doing."

I could feel the hurt and betrayal laced with each word she said and I didn't blame her, it is all my fault after all.

"Don't say that Kate," dad reprimanded her, "she's still our daughter."

"Kevin but you know it's true," she said and broke down into sobs as she fell onto the floor.

Dad rushed over to her side and hugged her tightly, slowly rocking her back and forth. I went over but dad just shook his head and told me to give her space for now.

I went up to my room, locked the door and slid down on the floor before I broke down into my own sobs. My phone vibrated a couple of times but I just ignored it, I didn't want to talk to anyone at the moment and I dreaded the talk I had to have with James.

I don't know how long I sat on the floor crying but my the time I stood up, my butt felt numb and I was sure my face looked worse than it did before. I grabbed my phone to find a dozen texts and calls from James a few from Asher and two from unknown numbers.

I checked the unknown numbers first. The first one read; hope you're okay~Jake
And the second one; can't wait to have you back at school, it sucks without you here lol~Kai

I smiled at their messages and opened Asher's before sending a quick reply to let him know I was home and safe. The only ones left were the ones from James. I took a huge breathe before opening them.

                         -----☆-----

It was one of the longest calls I'd ever had in my entire life. James was livid but worried all together.

We spent four hours talking- with us going back and forth with each other. Him reprimanded me and I triing to get him to calm down which eventually worked after about two hours of talking.

By the time we ended the call and I fell on my bed, it was close to late noon and I didn't feel like leaving my room so I just picked up my books and studied until I fell asleep.

I was woken up by a light rapping on my bedroom door, "Alexis open up," Ash spoke from the other side.

I got up and unlocked the door to see Asher standing there with a plate of pizza and two Coca-Cola cans. "What are you doing here?"

"Can't a guy just want to spend time with his best friend?" he shot with a silly smile on his face, "and besides I brought food. Your dad said you locked yourself up in here and haven't eaten." he said as he entered the room and plopped on my bed.

I shook my head but joined him on the bed nevertheless, "scoot over, your fat arse is taking most of the space," I said to which Ash scowled.

"I'm offended. Me and my fat arse are not scooting over," he said as he took a large bite from the pizza. "Where's your laptop?"

"Why do you want it?"

"I want to show you something," he said taking a gulp from his can of Coca-Cola. I raised a skeptical eyebrow at him. "C'mon you'll like it, I promise."

I slowly stood up and grabbed my laptop from my desk before returning to my position on the bed, "it better be good or else I'll push you off my bed."

"Oh it is!"

Asher grabbed my laptop and typed in something really quickly before shoving it back in my hands, "watch that," he said with a cheeky smile.

I hesitantly moved my eyes to the screen to see a bunch on puppies running around at the animal shelter with an adopt me sign. They looked so cute and adorable that I found myself smiling like a fool.

"Told you you'd like it."

"Yeah they are so adorably cute," I replied. "But why show them to me?"

Asher finished the slice of pizza he was eating and wiped his hands on his jeans before shuffling on the bed to face, "you see Alexis, I've been thinking."

"It's never a good sign when you think," I joked to which he just rolled his eyes but continued nonetheless.

"I haven't done anything special for Steph since we started dating and since she loves puppies so much I thought why not get her one as an apology for being such a bad boyfriend," he said. "And I want you to help me pick the right one," he finished with hopeful eyes.

I stared at him for a good minute and saw how nervous he looked, "You want me to help you pick out a puppy for Steph?  I asked because I thought I heard him wrong.

"Yes."

A smile began to form on my face as he hugged him, "of course I will you douché. I was beginning to wonder what kind of boyfriend you were." I said pulling away from the hug. "You always  never put much effort into it now that I think about it but at least you're willing to try now."

Asher sighed as he ran a hand down his face, "yeah I was horrible no need to remind me about it."

I shrugged but didn't say anything after that as I grabbed a pizza slice and took a bite off it.

"I'll be here early in the morning to pick you up so we can find a puppy before school starts at 8am," he spoke.

"Okay," I responded through a mouth full of pizza and Coca-Cola. "Just don't be late this time all right?"

"Gotcha."

~A