•Chapter 14•

I CAN'T BELIEVE my mum managed to get me to go shopping with her. But what I couldn't believe the most was the fact that I actually willingly agreed to her proposal.

I stood there staring at my reflection in the mirror, the girl that stared back at me wasn't me, she looked absolutely different. She had on a cream pastel dress that hugged her too tightly on her torso, was a little too revealing and reached mid-thigh.

"Come out Alexis, you've been in there so long," Asher groaned from the other side of the cubicle.

"No way am I coming out looking like this," I replied.

"Why not?" Asher questioned.

"Because I look like a desperate prostitute."

I heard Asher chuckling from the other side, "we'll be the judge of that now come out."

"Come out honey, we just want to see how you look," my mum spoke in her soft delicate voice. "Won't you do that for me?"

I hated how she could get me to do anything with those words. Sighing, I slowly unlocked the cubicle and walked out.

The smile that was on Asher's face was soon replaced with a scowl and my mum sat there looking speechless and perplexed. "I told you didn't I?" I exclaimed exasperatedly throwing my hands in the air.

"Oh hell no are you wearing that." Ash spoke as he regained his composure, "it's too revealing. Back in the cubicle."

"Agreed," Mum seconded.

I turned back into the cubicle and locked it behind me once more before stripping out of the dress and placing it back on the hanger.

"Try the red one," Mum said.

I removed the strapless red dress from the hanger and slipped into it. It wasn't too tight and reached me mid-thigh. My shoulders were exposed and in no way did I feel comfortable with that.

But nevertheless, I unlocked the cubicle and stepped out allowing both my Mum and Asher to get a good look at me.

They were both quiet for moment before mum spoke, "it's not right. It's missing something," she said.

"Yeah maybe straps and sleeves that are long enough to cover my arms," I drawled.

"No, that's not it," Ash said. "Go and change though it might be a possibility."

I sighed and went back into the cubicle. I don't know how long or how many dresses I had tried on which were either not good enough, too revealing, too short, too tight, too bland and so on as Asher put it in his own words. Somewhere along the lines I began to think that he was the fashion designer and not my mum. I was beginning to get frustrated because I had clearly tried on every dress that they chose for me.

"Try this one on," Ash said tossing a dress over the cubicle.

It was a black dress with a white belt and the back was semi exposed. I slipped into it and hoped for the best. It fit perfectly, it wasn't tight nor was it revealing. The dress hugged me perfectly on my torso and showed my figure. It reached me just a little bit close to the knees which was as good as it gets. Plus it covered my arms partially so I wasn't complaining that much.

I stepped out of the cubicle for what I hoped would be my last dress trial. Both my Mom and Asher stopped talking and just stared at me without saying anything. I began feeling self conscious and ansty from the intensity of their stares.

Finally mum stood up and walked towards me engrossing me in a hug. "My baby finally looks like a girl," she cooed as she pulled away and wiped a tear. "This is the one."