•Chapter 22•

THE WEEK FLEW by quicker than I expected. Each day after school, Nick and I would meet up in the library or coffee shop to study for the decathlon.

We were growing more closer to each other than I thought possible and I felt this strange feeling each time I was around him or whenever he would smile at me or gaze at me when we studied.

I didn't know what the feeling was but I liked it-not in a weird sense. But it made me feel good.

It was finally time for the decathlon and I was beyond terrified and nervous. For starters, I didn't want to make us lose by answering a question wrong or worse still-failing to answer a question all together.

"Alexis look at me," Nick said as he placed his hands on my shoulders and used his index finger to tip my chin up. "Breath."

I didn't realise I was holding my breathe the entire time and I took a huge breath of air.

"Now listen to me, you don't need to over think anything. We prepared well enough and all I need you to do for me now is focus on breathing and calming down. Can you do that for me?"

I nodded my head and gazed into his green orbs as my nerves began to ease up.

"Good."

I looked around us at all the participants from the other schools and they looked confident enough but I wasn't going to let that affect me.

"All participants to the stage," a voice announced from the speakers and the teams began to make their way to the stage.

Mr. Finn walked over to us, "are you guys ready?" he asked.

"Yes we're ready," I replied confidently.

"I'll see you after the competition and good luck," he said with a smile and thumbs up before he walked away.

Mr. Finn was still well off in his twenties and I couldn't understand why he'd want to spend his life teaching Mathematics to a bunch of ungrateful highschool kids when he could do so much better.

I followed the other participants to the stage when Nick grabbed my hand and stopped me. "Umm....Alexis would you like to go out with me after this?" he asked.

I was stunned at first but then managed to string up a response, "as in a date?"

"Yes as in a date," he rolled his eyes. "Would you like to go on a date with me after the decathlon?"

"Yes."

He let go of my hand and a soft smile appeared on his face. "Then let's go win this thing."

                           -----☆-----

"You will be asked a question and you will have precisely ten seconds to answer it. The first team to press the buzzer gets the question and if wrong, then it will be passed on to the next team," the announcer spoke and we all nodded in understanding. "Are we all clear with the rules?" he asked and all the participants nodded once more.

"Good! Then let us begin."

Mr. Finn, Kai, Jake, Asher, dad and mum were all sitting in the front roll and I was happy at the fact that they took time from their busy schedules just to be here, supporting us.

Jake threw us a subtle thumbs up, Kai winked at me and Asher sent me a smile.

The competition was intense but likely Nick and I were leading and that made me feel good because I knew I was doing my school and Mr. Finn proud.

It was the last question and Ridgeway High and Everton High were tied. If we got this question correct then we would be the victors.

"Last question," the announcer said, "the first team to hit the buzzer and answer the question correct wins this year's Mathematics decathlon."