~19~

"What the hell's the matter with him then!?", Billy yelled back at me as he stopped through the desert and I followed him.

He had been letting off steam and bitching about Alex for 30 minutes now and it was sometimes funny.

"Your guess is as good as mine", I scoffed as I jumped off a bank of bank then walked around a hole I thought might be a snake's and kept walking."Docs been readin the paper...think he mighta said somethin to the other boys and spooked em."

Billy just turned around and locked eyes with my scrunching his eyebrows like "really?" and I nodded.

He sighed then turned around and headed back to our camp.

When we got there, all the boys where standing around and staring at us as we walked up to them.

I gave them all a confused look before I looked and Charlie.

"Dirty Steve told me guys...told me what their writin in the paper", he said.

I stared at him for a few seconds before I turned to Doc, blinked and raised my eyebrows.

"Steven told him about the part Sheriff Peppin's plannin for us", he nodded back and I turned to Steve.

"Nice Steve", I nodded.

"Party? Oh you mean the hangin!", Billy said beside me and I elbowed him.

"Callate chivato", Chavez mumbled.

"Charlie, honey, don't listen to Steve. Steve is Steve", I nodded.

"God dammit you guys!! You treat this like it's a game but it's not!!", Charlie yelled. and I sighed then looked to the ground."You ever see a man hang?!"

My head snapped up to him at that second and for the first time I glared at him.

"Yeah, as a matter of fact I have", I nodded as I walked up to his face then growled,"His face turns flat purple and his eyes come up on him-I know alot about it whether I like it or not."

"Shit, I seen Red Smitty hang. Seen his head come clean off!!", Billy laughed to himself as I turned around to him.

"Ok, Billy your not making this better-what Charlie wants to hear is that we aren't gunna hang", I said then walked up to him."I , wanna hear that were not gunna hang."

"Ella, you already know I would'nt let nothin happen to you-ok? Don't even worry about it", he shook his head.

I looked up at him and I really did believe him.

When I looked down, he looked to Charlie.

"If we get caught, Charlie-then we'll hang. But there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip", he said.

I narrowed my eyes and slowly turned to Billy as he smirked to himself and stared off.

"What?", I shook my head then Charlie shifted his feet and sighed.

"We gotta do something before they catch us", he said."You all gotta let me do somethin."

"Okay Charley", Billy nodded.