25

I knew Charlie had broken the news to his new wife, because all that could be heard in the center of the town was her crying, and holding onto him beggin him not to go. Swallowing hard, I sighed and pulled myself up onto my horse, grabbing the reins and sitting up.

"Your going?!", I heard Alma say, as she walked up beside me.

I sighed, letting my eyes fall shut and held myself up with one hand.

"I have to", I nodded as I turned to her and narrowed my eyes, "I guess if I ride with "chivato", I stay with him."

She gave me and angry, sad look, then her face dropped and she walked off to go stand with Sonia and Luciana by Charlie's wife in front.

I squeezed my eyes shut, then anger took me over as I ignored everything and backed my horse up. Untying Chavez's horse, I wrapped his reins around the horn of my saddle and I led them both away. He walked to the middle of the town and did a circle as Billy and Doc rode up beside me.

"Charlie, you should stay-can't shoot worth a piss anyhow", he snickered."Besides, your girls cryin-she's givin me a headach-GODDAMNIT!!"

I glared at Billy and lowered my hand to my reins again from knocking him upside the head.

"Charlie, you got a wife now", Doc said.

"You should stay", I added in nodding.

I looked up and across the fire, Chavez was giving one more hug to Luciana, and kissing Alma's cheek goodbye. Then he walked over and I handed him his reins.

Charlie finally kissed his wife's forehead goodbye, then let her go and walked towards us. Her mother had to hold her back then she collapsed in her arms sobbing. I felt horrible, but at the same time, I can't change Charlies decision.

Turning my horse to the left, I walked among the crowd until I stopped in front of Alma and Luciana.

"I will be back", I nodded to her.

She looked up at me with tear filled eyes then I reached down and hugged her. After she squeezed me one more time, she let go and lifted Luciana up so I could kiss her forehead. 

Smiling at them one more time, I turned my horse away and stood besides Doc.

 Charlie finally got up and looked at us.

"Ain't easy havin pals", he said and I cracked a smile.

Billy did too then looked down as his horse backed up.