26

I'm not religious in any way because, well look at my life and the way it's turned out-but as I loaded each bullet, I took a breath in and started prayin.

Billy took out a pistol then held it up to Alex."Alex?"

"...Can't do that", I zoned back in on Alex's sarcastic reply, as I leaned in the corner by the door on my side.

 He and his wife moved upstairs, then he turned to me."Dixon", he nodded.

I looked up as I cocked my gun, then he threw me another one.

"We know you can shoot Bonney!! We can too!", someone called. I caught it then flipped it around on my finger before cocking it too and listening again.

"Give it up!!", they yelled outside, then Billy and I rolled our eyes at each other.

No sooner we did that, the lock on the door got shot off, shooting wood pieces everywhere as it banged into the wall. Billy pushed himself up then kicked it towards me before I closed it with my foot.

I looked up and wiped hair out of my face as he looked up at me.

"Go...GO" , I nodded upstairs in fear of a stray bullet finding it's way to him.

He looked nervous about leaving me, but turned and ran upstairs. A stray bullet found it's way to me instead, and skimmed my right calf.

I ignored it though and lowered myself to the floor, and covered my head, waiting for them to stop.

After another minute, they did, and I looked up through my hair around the now dust filled house. I swallowed fearing all bad odds, then exhaled and did a quick short two-tone whistle, sighing in relief that all boys made it as I got 6 whistles back one at a time.

They were the eyes from above, so I decided I would be the eyes at the front door.

 I put one gun away, cocked the other, then pulled my knees up to my chest with my arms in my lap. Listening, and waiting, until they tried something else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the course of an hour, I watched them give up and set up sandbags all around with men on watch all night, while they drank around their bonfire. The sun went down a while back, replacing the pink and orange light with pale silver that shown into the house, making shadows everywhere, and nearly impossible to see.

We could'nt talk or move much, because if we made one creak loud enough, they could light us all up.

Not exactly fun this lifestyle, is it?

Over the course of an hour, I also experienced myself falling in and out, until I completely fell out and just gave up, leaning my head down on my arms.I was on the verge of falling back to sleep, after not hearing anyone outside, and assuming most of them went to sleep.