4

Zenia's POV

"EJ was always so adorable," I caught Madison say as I got closer to them, "and he's so funny."

The hell?!

Jasmine's eyes landed on me as I stood next to her. She was standing opposite EJ and Madison with Evan on her right, so I stood on her left.

"Oh, Zenia, this is Madison. My most favorite person in the world."

Most favorite person?

"Madison, this is Zenia."

Just Zenia?

"Hi," Madison greeted, extending a hand to me while the other one was still placed on the arm of EJ.

"Hi," I answered back with a weak smile, shaking her hand while the dark voice was screaming "break her hand" at the back of my head.

"It's so nice to finally meet you, Zenia. I've heard so much about you, and I was so excited to finally meet you, and now I have. I'm thrilled." She sounded like she had been planning on saying that her whole life.

"Oh, I wish I could say the same," I said back with a fake chuckle, which made me earn a scolding look from my big sister.

"Oh, well, ummm... Jasmine, I accept." Madison then turned her attention to Jasmine.

"I'm sorry, what do you accept?" I was lost because I didn't catch all details from the earlier conversation between them.

"Jasmine wants Madison to be one of the bridesmaids for the wedding," EJ clarified.

I was trying my best to compose my anger because I had already given the impression that I didn't have any feelings for and towards EJ. But seeing another girl hooked up to him, and not letting her hand go from his beautiful arm, was doing something to me. A wrecking feeling boiled around in the pit of my stomach, waiting to be erupted by the slightest annoyance from Madison. I had no idea who she was, but EJ was definitely warmed up to her.

"Zenia, can I please speak with you? A little girl-to-girl chat in private?" Madison asked.

"Umm, okay."

We slowly walked to the very back of the huge mansion where the swimming pool was visible but secretly surrounded by trees. We sat down at the pool, allowing only our feet into the water.

"Zenia. That's a really lovely name. What does it mean?" She broke the awkward silence between us.

"It's actually a flower."

"Oh, like your sister's name is Jasmine, as in the flower, also. That's so awesome. Does your mom have a flower shop?"

"At one point."

"That's great."

"What is it that you really wanted to talk about? I highly doubt you only wanted to know the origin of my name."

"Zenia, I know you don't know anything about me, but I feel like we could connect with each other, and I'm really hoping we could be friends. EJ and I go way back-- preschool to be precise. We've been inseparable and shared a bond like no other, but all that changed when my family ran into financial difficulties, and I was forced to move away from next door EJ."

Bitch used to live right next to him?

"When I moved, we lost touch with each other, you know? I tried reaching out to him continuously, but I failed and we grew apart. I knew he had his own life to live, and he's a guy, after all."

She gave a light, feminine laugh as she playfully pushed my shoulder.

"Why are you telling me all this?" I finally asked. I wasn't one for empathy, so I wouldn't pretend I actually gave a damn about her and her personal issues.