16

Ethan Junior's POV

I fucking hate Mondays.

I cursed obscenities underneath my breath for the entire morning in my office.

Miscarriage. Won't be able to have another baby.

My cellphone rang for the umpteenth time and I saw it was her, I smashed it against the wall.

I had spent the rest of the weekend in my bedroom, moping around like a little bitch while everyone else was happy and satisfied with their lives.

I wouldn't be able to have another chance of fathering my children with the woman I was falling madly for.

Angry tears slipped out of my eyes, and I threw myself on the three-seat leather couch in the office.

A knock came on the door and someone walked in. I knew, just by the scent of the aroma, it was my brother. I pulled myself upwards and sat up.

"Didn't slept last night?" he asked, taking a seat across from me. "What's going on with you, EJ?"

I heaved a long frustrated sigh as I raked my fingers through my hair.

"I'm right here, little brother, talk to me." Evan studied my sunken facial expressions.

I loved my big brother. He was a strict, no nonsense kind of guy, but he was the best big brother one could hope for.

"It's Zenia." I answered, short.

"Is she alright?" Deep concern came through his eyes at the mention of her name.

"I got her pregnant."

Evan's eyebrows creased in confusion. He took a moment to digest what I had said before knocking me upside my head.

"You got her pregnant, EJ? You're twenty fucking years old dude! What do you know about being a father? Mom and Dad will kill your ass."

"She's not pregnant anymore, idiot. She lost the baby." I held my head where he had smacked me.

This fucking guy.

"Well, I'm still sorry to hear that. That's so sad." He sat closer to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

He was yet to learn what really transpired between Zenia and I, so when I told about the Halloween party, and what Zenia did one month after, his eyes grew bigger and bigger in total shock.

"Oh man!" he muttered once I had told him everything. "I don't believe Zen would deliberately kill the baby, but drinking so much alcohol just to numb a heartbreak was rather stupid of her.

"Nonetheless, you both are still very young, and there are other options to have a baby in the future. Adoption is at the very top of that list. Surrogacy is another option, and, of course, a medical procedure to ensure her uterus could still house a baby is the third."

I scoffed.

"What?"

"I just wanna father my own kids, bro."

"Well then, the very last option would be leaving Zenia." He got off the chair and walked out the office, leaving me in deep thought.

After lunch, I head back to my office. On opening the door, my eyes caught the back of her head, sitting at my desk. I walked over slowly and got into my chair, looking her dead in the eyes.

"What are you doing here, Zenia?"

"I've been calling you but you weren't taking my calls."

My eyes shifted to the broken phone still laying on the floor. She followed my eyes and saw it as well.

"Oh. EJ, I hated how our last conversation ended between us. I came here to mend things."

"To mend what? What is there to be mend?"

"Our relationship."

"We're just friends. Those were your words Zenia!"

"I'm sorry I've hurt you, EJ! I really don't know how many times you want me to apologize. I'm hurting too and that was one of the reasons why I wanted to take this to my grave. I'm really sorry."

"I heard you," I responded and turned my attention to my computer screen.

"EJ, we don't know what the future holds for us. There are many other options in regards to having a family together. I'm willing to fight through this and stand by you through everything."

"Would you stop talking as if I was the one who killed the baby."

"It was an accident!"

"Yeah. That could of been prevented if you had your shit together! Don't sit your ass there and use that 'accident' talk as a fucking excuse as to why my child isn't here. You knew damn well that you had sex with me that night!

One month later, your period was bound to be late! Didn't it dawn on you to take a pregnancy test rather than going to some fucking bar and drinking a ton of alcohol like some god dammit prostitute?"

My blood was already boiling.

"But you said you forgave me," she mumbled as she lowered her head.

"Yeah, I forgive you, but I can't pretend it never happened, Zenia. For Pete's sake, you might never be able to have another baby."

She flung herself up. "I know that! You don't have to rub it in my face like that when I'm clearly sorry for what I did. I messed up. I was stupid. I cost that child his or her life, that I'll always be thinking of and reminded about. I can't go back in time and change what happened. I wish I could."

"I wish I could do that too. If I could go back in time and change what happened, I would change everything about the Halloween party." I moved my eyes back to her.

"What exactly are you trying to say, EJ?"

"I wouldn't have met you!"

She opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Tears welled up in her eyes, but, at that point, I just didn't give a damn anymore.

Tear up all you want.

"Why are you being like this EJ? Why are you becoming so heartless?"

"Maybe I've always been heartless. Have you ever asked yourself that?"

"EJ!"

"Zenia, I really can't do this anymore. I forgive you, but I can't forget. You've taken away something that I'll never have with you again. The best thing to do, at this point, is to go with the last option."

"What? What last option?"

"We're done Zenia."

_____________________
A/N

Okay, so I have a fun question...
(for those who have read all of Molten Chocolate and Cookies and Cream thus far)

Between Evan and EJ, which brother do you think is more coldhearted?

😫

*P.S. I know this chap is short but I'll have another update later on today.