45

Ethan Junior's POV

I waited in the waiting area as the doctors tended to Zenia. She had passed out from exhaustion the moment Evan got her inside the car.

Dad hugged me around my shoulder while I looked at my hands. The hands I used to beat Anton's face in with his gun. He had crossed a line he shouldn't have ever dared to cross. 

And what a surprise it had been for Evan when he discovered Jessica, his ex-girlfriend from high school, had been in on this as well. She was cuffed and sent off to jail-- both her and Maria-- and their accomplice, a guy by the name of Larry. 

Anton was admitted to the hospital to nurse his facial wounds before going to jail.

Anastasia, Dad's IT Hacker, met up with us at the hospital. It turned out that Mr. McCalister knew nothing about his son's kidnapping scheme and plots, so he was let off the hook.  She promised to keep an eye on him though.

Two hours later, a doctor met us in the hallway.

"Zenia Blackman?"

"That's us." Evan, Dad and I stood up at once.

"She's stable. She's awake and responding to the treatments. The baby is okay as well, but Miss Blackman is very dehydrated so we're keeping her on fluids and here for three days."

"Thank you doctor. Thank you so much. Can I see her?"

"Of course, but only for twenty minutes. She needs to rest."

"And what about Madison? The other girl we came in with," Dad asked.

"She's stable as well. We got the bullet out of her shoulder and tended to the cuts and bruises she sustained. She had a fractured jaw but she'll be fine."

I followed the nurse into Zenia's  room and saw her sitting up, having a glass of water.

"Hey," I said softly as I went to her side. "How are you feeling?"

"I've had better days," she answered with a small smile.

"Do me a favor. The next time I see you in the hospital, please let it be for the birth of our baby."

She opened her arms for a hug and I did just that. I kissed her forehead, stayed and comforted her until the doctor had to chase me away.

I went to see Madison next.

There was a bandage on her shoulder and small cuts and bruises on her arms. She had a swollen jaw but she still looked like Madison.

"Thank you for everything you did. That was mighty brave, and very wise of you, and I'd really like us to be friends again because that's the Madison I know."

"Oh EJ, you're going to make me cry," she joked.

"Oh, come here," I gestured and went to her with open arms. I gave her a well-deserved hug and sat down next to her.

"What made you save Zenia?" I asked.

"Because of you and the baby. I know losing her would destroy you, and the fact that she's pregnant with your miracle baby, another life on the line; I couldn't see something bad happen to her.

"I know what I did before was really messed up, and I was somewhat responsible for your breakup with Zenia. I set up Maria to go into your office and I manipulated Zenia into going to Hollen Tower. I'm really sorry."

"That's water under the bridge Madison. What you did in the past cannot outshine what you just did for Zenia and the baby. You're my friend, girl."