Chapter 12

Listen to: What is love? - Frances

I take a step outside into the rain

I take a step outside into the rain. Swallowing hard, a pang of guilt hit my chest as I walked further and further away from Christian. Of course I'm not leaving him. I'm always going to come back. I just need some air. Hands in my pockets, I walk down the street, couples passing by with smiles and laughter. I look at the ground and stare at my shining heels. 'You're just overreacting', I tell myself. I know I am but I'm also heartbroken that he won't let me in. He's constantly pushing me away. I want to touch him, I want to talk to him, I want to be a part of him. I want to love him.

Alleyways turn into maze walls and I'm not sure where I'm going or what time it is, but it's definitely evening. Reaching a hand into both pockets, I realise my phone isn't there. I must have dropped it on the floor at Christian's apartment. He's probably worried sick. What's he going to do to me as soon as I get back home? Is he going to yell at me? Punish me with those... whips? Will he leave me or love me? I shiver at the thought of the abandonment.

The familiar building where he lives, comes closer to me. I stand in front of the doors and look up the grand building. Hesitating, I push the glass doors open and walk up the stairs to his apartment instead of taking the lift. Placing a hand on the door knob, I jiggle it and notice that it's open. I push it open slightly and walk in, trying not to make any noise. He wasn't downstairs. Perhaps he's in a meeting. Closing the door behind me, I remove my coat and hang it up on the coat hanger, and slip off my shoes, placing them carefully beside the door. "Ana." I heard a breathy voice come from the stairs. My mouth was slightly agape. "Where the fuck have you been?" He rushes downstairs, making his way towards me. "I've been so worried. Are you hurt? You left your phone here and I had no idea if you would be dead or hurt." My lip quivers and I throw myself onto him, wrapping my arms around him. 

"I'm sorry." I repeat over and over again onto his shoulder. "I shouldn't of left. I just felt so mad at the time. I understand if you don't want me to touch you." I pull away from him and he places his hands on my shoulders. 

"Are you hurt?" 

"No." 

"Don't ever leave me like that again." He laughs a breathy laugh. 

"I won't." He pulls me into another hug and kisses me on the forehead. 

"You should have a shower. You're soaking wet from the rain." I nod and wipe my eyes. Making my way upstairs, I stroll into the bathroom and turn on the water, stripping down so I'm naked. As I step into the shower , the water instantly pours down onto me, emerging my body into the heat and steam. My mind fades into a heavy daydream as I stare at the wall in front of me, running my hands through my hair. The sensation of the steamy, hot water calms me and it's as if I'm standing under an everlasting waterfall. Ever so beautiful, but it can never last, I know that now. 

The door creaks open, making me jump. I can't see much as the steam has fogged up the room. "Hello?" I call out, squeezing the soapy suds from my hair. I shrug it off and return to washing my hair. I hear metal scrape on the ceramic floor, making me jump again. I know it's Christian. I hear the sound of a small scrape of the glass shower door and in walks Christian. He wraps his arms around my waist. Smiling, I turn around to look at his face which was starting to get wet from the water. He turns me around and grabs the soap. He squeezes the bottle over the sponge and rubs it over my back and breasts, roaming his hands everywhere.  

We both step out of the shower together and he wraps the towel around me, securing me in my own bubble of heat. He smiles down at me as he wraps another towel around his waist. I avoid looking down as I glare into his eyes. "Meet me downstairs in ten minutes." He whispers in front of his dressing room door. I nod and walk further down the hallway to get to my bedroom. Opening the drawer, I find a pair of black booty shorts and one of Christian's shirts that I 'accidentally' placed in my drawer after taking it out from the dryer. I breathe in, sucking in Christian's scent and my fresh scent. I take a seat in front of my dresser and dry my hair with the towel and then the hairdryer. Once dry, I flip it up into a top knot and nod quickly in admiration. Snatching the dressing gown hanging on the back of the door, I pull it over me and make my way downstairs. 

"Christian?" I call out. I pause at the fifth step from the bottom and look around before locking my eyes onto Christian who was lighting three candles. "Christian, my love, what are you doing?" I tilt my head to the side and chuckle. He flicks off the lighter and stands back, admiring the table. 

"You said you wanted a date-" 

"Oh, you really didn't need to do this. The shower was perfect enough." I point a thumb over my shoulder as I glide over to the kitchen. "But this is amazing though." 

On the table sat a plate of cheeses, small fruits and ham

On the table sat a plate of cheeses, small fruits and ham. "The chicken is in the oven right now so you might just have to snack on the cheese for now." He tosses the oven mit onto the kitchen counter and takes a seat in front of the fruit dishes. Grabbing the neck of the champagne bottle, he pops open the lid and pours the bubbly into the glass. I hook my fingers around it and take a couple sips. 

"This is nice and all, but I'm in my dressing gown." I chuckle and wipe the corner of my mouth with my finger. He shrugs and sips from his drink. I grab a piece of cheese and place it onto a cracker, taking a small bite and offering Christian. He leans forward and bites down, staring into my eyes. "Steady on tiger." We both chuckle and he takes a few more sips of his drink. 

"So, when are you moving?" 

"I think in a couple of days, just before Christmas. Speaking of Christmas, we should buy you a christmas tree!" 

"What?" 

"You heard what I said." 

"I don't usually put up the christmas tree though..." 

"Oh, come on. Just this year and if you don't like it then we won't have to put it up next year." He thinks for a moment before nodding and pulling on the oven glove again. 

"Whatever you want, baby." He kisses my forehead and opens the oven, a blast of heat striking against my face. The savoury aroma of the seasoned chicken wafts throughout the kitchen. Whilst watching my boyfriend pull the chicken out of the oven with a wide grin, I realised that this was my home and that's all that mattered. 

The champagne bottle was practically empty, the chicken was also almost finished to the bone but there were a few leftovers for the next day's lunch. The berries and cheeses were finished and we were now onto our desert. Digging my fork into the cake, I listen to Christian's office story from many years ago. "He was pretty problematic though. I guess that's why I fired him." He digs his work in and finishes the last piece of cake, a bit of icing sat in the corner of his lip. Giggling, I lean forward and wipe it off with my thumb and suck it off with a popping sound coming from my mouth. 

"Thank you for dinner tonight. I know I didn't look perfect." Standing up, I take our plates to the dishwasher and slot them inside. He rubs my back as soon as I stand up and then kisses my temple. "I think I'm going to head to bed. Once again, thank you." I kiss him for a few more seconds and rub a thumb over his cheek. 

"Yeah, I have some work to do but I'll join you in a bit." 

"Don't stay up too late, okay? We're going out to buy the tree tomorrow." I point at him with a raised brow. 

"Goodnight, Ana."