Chapter 33

Stretching, I turn over onto my right side and notice Christian gazing at me warily. "Good morning." I whisper as I slide an arm under my pillow to elevate my neck slightly. "How did you sleep?"

"I slept well, thank you. Do you remember last night?" He looks at me with a bemused expression and stern eyes. Sighing sarcastically, I roll onto my back and tap my chin. 

"I'm pretty sure we went out to dinner and uh... that's about it." I turn back onto my side and Christian leans on his hand with his eyebrows creased. 

"That's... that's it?" The dejected expression on his face makes me feel guilty about acting oblivious so I shake my head and sit up, crossing my legs and placing two hands under my stomach. 

"No, Christian. Of course I remember you proposing to me." His frown turns to a smile and I can't help but copy. 

"Have you thought of your answer yet?" 

"Nope." I pop the 'p' and shove the covers off of my legs. "Can you help me?" He nods and quickly walks over to me, taking my hand and placing the other on the bottom of my spine. 

"Nope? That's it?" 

"You have a lot of questions today." I chuckle. "I'll make us breakfast." 

"But you're pregnant and-" 

"I'll burn myself, the sink will flood, the fridge can fall on me, blah, blah, blah." I roll my eyes as I count on my fingers "I get it Christian, you're protective over me at the moment, but just give me a little bit of freedom. The next thing you'll say is 'don't breathe in Oxygen, it could have bacteria.'" 

"That is a good point." He squints, tilting his head.

"Well, Doctor Grey, feel free to hand me back the test results and give me some recommendations on what I should breathe instead." I say sarcastically. His reaction neutralises, making me sigh. "I'm kidding," I pout as I place my hands on his shoulders. "Don't take everything so seriously. This is your last month being a businessman and then you become a father. You know what? How about you go out for drinks tonight with friends?" 

"What? No way! I don't want to leave you here alone." He shakes his head. 

"I'm not twelve. I'll be ay-okay." 

"What if you give birth?" 

"I doubt I will. I have another three weeks. But if it does happen, I'll call the ambulance." I gently chastise him before walking to the door and swinging it open. 

"But what if you-" 

"Bye!" I slam the door behind me and shake my head, letting out a dry laugh. He's already adapted to new paternal instincts. 

I flip the pancake, listening to it sizzle as the batter touches the hot pan. Looking over my shoulder, I mentally check if I have everything on the table. Strawberries, syrup, chocolate, juice. I pay attention to the letter 'S' I made using an online tutorial. Grabbing the spatula, I scrape it up quickly as Christian's footsteps come closer to the kitchen. The letter sides next to the other two: 'Y' and 'E'. Christian has no idea of the events about to transpire.  

"Smells good in here." He loudly inhales as he makes his way over to the kitchen island. "You've really outdone yourself." I can't contain myself from nerves and excitement. 

"You get first choice of pancake. Would you like strawberr-" 

"Anastasia Steele." From the corner of my eye, I notice Christian still before he sits down.

"Yes, Christian Grey?" I look up from the dish and bite my lip, hiding my grin. 

"Yes? Do you mean...?" 

"I mean yes! I want to marry you!" I walk past the counter and over to his arms. He stands up with tears in his eyes and a showstopping smile which also makes me cry. "Do you really think I would say no? I took my time with my response to piss you off." 

"You drive me crazy." His tone changes into a whisper as he places both hands either side of my face whilst kissing me hard. 

"Thank you. Bye." I close the door and turn on my heels. 

"Who were you talking to, wife?"

"It's just the receptionist downstairs handing out the usual mail," I read the newspaper headline, not looking at Christian yet "and I not your wife yet, I'm your fiance.

"To-may-to, to-mah-to." 

"Wife, fiance." I raise a brow at him before looking down at the paper "Hey, read this: 'Christian and girlfriend spotted on rooftop dinner together.'" I hand him the paper and his eyes dart around as he scans the lines in front of him.

"You looked good in that dress. Did I tell you that?" He tosses the paper onto the couch and snakes his arms around what is left of my waist. 

"That's pretty much the only conversation we had whilst we were having dinner." I hold onto his forearms and kiss his forehead before pulling away. "Don't you have work to attend to?" I ask, picking the newspaper back up from the couch. 

"Yeah, but I thought that I would come and annoy you." 

"You're doing a great job so far." I joke, making him scoff and tilt his head to the side. One of his familiar habits. 

"You love it when I give you attention though. You're like a sunflower but instead you're a... an attention-flower. You survive mainly off of attention." 

"Not true." I cross my arms and frown. "I love you loads, my darling, but you need to get back to work before your boss fires you." 

"Why would I want to fire myself?" 

"Why would I want to fire myself?" I mimic him with a high-pitched voice and a smug look. He looks like he wants to wipe the smug look off of my face but unfortunately for him I'm wearing a second, smaller smug look underneath. "Pregnancy has made you ten times more cocky." 

"Did you hear yourself five seconds ago? 'Why would I want to fire myself?'"  I scoff. Sadly, his phone buzzes which interrupts our teasing session.